How does smart Lipo effect stretch marks?

I am getting smart Lipo on my inner thighs. I am 19 years old, fit, active and healthy. But genetics has lead me to have big lumps on the inside of my legs. I also have lots of stretch marks. I'm wondering how they will look once the fat is taken out if my legs? I don't care if they don't go away, I don't mind them. I'm just curious about how they may look.

Thanks for your question and as always we recommend that you be seen by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon prior to this procedure and to make sure they are well versed in lasers and liposuction.  The SmartLipo should do well for the lumps on the inside of your thighs.  The interesting thing is that this is also a laser procedure and we know from work done with SmartLipo that we see faster and sometimes better tightening as a result of the procedure.  So there is a good chance that some of the stretch marks in the area may improve – only time will tell and as far as I know, no one has ever “studied” this with SmartLipo, but I do believe you may be pleasantly surprised it the procedure is done well.  Best of luck.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Smart liposuction and stretch mark reduction

Thank you for this wonderful question! I actually have this question presented to me quite frequently. Smart liposuction is wonderful for contouring those areas that are not responding to diet and exercise as well as smoothing out contour issues in those 'trouble areas' such as thighs, arms and flanks. It is possible to obtain some skin tightening with the smart liposuction modality and is one of the many benefits of using the laser assisted liposuction. With this in mind I have not seen any correlation between stretch mark reduction and smart liposuction. 

I have started integrating the Strialite treatment which is able to be done at home with each of my patients who have a concern with stretch marks. This is an easy to use, quick, productive treatment with regard to reducing the appearance of stretch marks that is FDA approved and able to be done in the comfort of your own home. I have seen beautiful results with patients who have partnered the Strialite with Smart liposuction treatments.

I do hope you have found this information helpful and wish you luck! 

Ronald Downs, MD, FACS
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Your stretch marks will probably not change

i have done 621 Smartlipo cases to date and i don't think Smartlipo has any real effect on stretch marks. i could not expect it to since Smartlipo is great for decreasing fat and getting some degree of skin tightening but there is no reason to expect much change in the stretch marks

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we do not yet have a great treatment for stretch marks. What you are seeing are actually a form of scar, and that is not reversible. Typically, they simply need to surgically removed (such as w/ a thigh lift). Liposuction techniques are not going to improve them, and I suppose there's even a chance the appearance could worsen when fat is removed. I hope that helps you a little.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo skin

Smart Lipo will help with skin tightening to a degree, unlike traditional liposuction. If the bumps are raised on the skin, then like your stretch marks, treatment with a skin resurfacing laser or micro needling would treat the area after Smart Lipo. More and more, combinations of treatments is the key to optimal results.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Smart lipo and stertch marks

Smart liposuction is a great way to treat discrete fatty deposits but it will most likely not do anything for your stretch marks. It does have the ability to tighten skin a little, but the medial thighs can be tricky if you already have extra skin in this area. Make sure to discuss this with your surgeon and that they are board certified in plastic surgery or dermatology and are comfortable doing this procedure.

W. John Bull, MD

Liposuction and Stretch Marks

Liposuction has no effect on stretch marks, it can make them worse if you have loose skin and do not have the skin removed during the liposuction procedures. Ensure you are an adequate candidate for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Smartlipo and stretch marks.

Smart lipo will have no effect on the stretch marks.  Good news is that you are young but make sure your surgeon is good at assessing the skin elasticity of your inner thighs even at your young age.  This area is notorious for not redraping as well as other areas on the body.  If your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon, you should be in good hands.  Make sure its not a medispa or someone other than a plastic surgeon assessing you for this.  Good luck

Dr V

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction has not effect of stretch marks

Laser liposuction has no effect on stretch marks either positively or negatively.  However, people with significant stretch marks may have more laxity leading to lesser results from surgery.   Often the stretch marks can be treated at the same time and during the healing process with laser treatments such as Fraxel or Fractional CO2 lasers.  However, make sure you seek out a physician who is experienced in both or see 2 different physicians if necessary.   It is never a bad idea to get multiple opinions.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon