Sleeping on my back is killing me! When can I sleep on my side again?

Okay. I'm 3 weeks post op ... When can I sleep on my side again? The first week of back sleeping was fine because pain meds knocked me out but now I'm so insanely uncomfortable on my back that I can barely sleep. Ahhhh.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  At three weeks I allow patients to sleep in whatever position they find most comfortable - except on their stomach - as long as they are wearing a supportive garment.  As each surgeon will have their own protocol I would recommend reaching out to yours to see if he clears you.  Hope this helps.

Back Sleeping

As it is always best to double check with your surgeon, I would see no problem with you changing to sleeping on your side since you are already 3 weeks post surgery.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping and breast augmentation

I tell my patients that after a few days if they feel comfortable that they can sleep on their side.  Best to ask your surgeon his preference.

Sleeping Position after Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation

• At three weeks after your breast augmentation, you should be fine sleeping in any position you desire. 
  • I tell my breast augmentation patients that beginning right after their operation they may sleep in whichever position they find most comfortable. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Patients can sleep in any position that is comfortable after a breast augmentation.

In my own practice I permit patients to sleep in any position that is comfortable even immediately after breast augmentation. Nevertheless, specific instruction should come only from your surgeon.

Sleeping on the back

Hello and thank you for your question. Do you remember what your plastic surgeon instructed for your sleeping directions? I would definitely call in to his or her office and ask if he thinks its alright for you to move to your side and stomach. Every doctor has their personal preference in procedure and only he knows what happened in the operating room and if it is safe to stop sleeping on your back. That being said I usually let my patients start sleeping on their sides the second week and however they are comfortable by the third week. I also usually suggest a comfortable sports bra that is not too tight, for support. If you are cautious you will be okay but do not forget to double check with your own plastic surgeon!

Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD