What can be done to get TT revision area to not reopen at old wound site? (photos)

I had a TT 1 year ago. I had a seroma & 2 areas opened on my scar. One area went 6 in. deep; I had to pack it for many months. It left a bad scar and the area was caved in. I went back for a scar revision & the old wound site began to open again. It started small & is getting bigger; the area around it is weak so I think it will still get bigger. It is also draining with intermittent stabbing pains. What can be done so this will heal ok? Is another revision with a new plan in this area needed?

Thank you for your question. Wounds after abdominoplasty can be quite complicated and are best managed in person with a thorough history and physical. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon so that you can go over, in detail, your wound care plan and need for possible surgical revision in the future.

Recurrent wound problems after tummy tuck revision

I'm sorry to hear that you are having continued problems with your tummy tuck site.  Having never seen you before, it is difficult to say why you've had a secondary issue in this region after your scar revision.  In general, it can be caused by breakdown of fat or skin tissue, especially if the abdominal tissue that was moved was a thick flap.   There can be other causes as well.  At this point, the best advice would be to follow-up closely with your board-certified plastic surgeon, and follow his or her wound care recommendations.  After the wound heals, it will depend on what the scar looks like, as well as an understanding of your predisposition to having wound healing issues in this region, as to whether it is worthwhile to try another procedure.  Best wishes.

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon