Want full, natural looking breasts. Concerned about areolas getting larger and wide set breasts? (Photos)

23 years old. 5'5, 130lbs. No kids. I feel as if my areolas are too large for my small breasts, and that my boobs are very far apart. I have a consultation in two weeks, looking to do silicone. Will the BA give me cleavage or will they still be set far apart? Do you think my areolas will get much larger? I am currently a full A/ small B. Wanting a full C, possibly small D. Also would like a bit more round of a look but not "fake". What would you recommend for me to achieve this look?

Breast augmentation - factors in determining medial cleavage

Hi there. Thank you for the post and photos. You are at a good starting point for breast enlargement surgery - your natural breast shape with a well developed inferior pole will lend itself to a perky but natural look. The breasts appear to be naturally quite close together (minimal soft tissue gap), which is an important factor in determining cleavage post enlargement - although the right side appears slightly less developed. The nipples are however relatively far apart based on the photo and will not be any closer together after surgery. There is inevitably some nipple stretching with enlargement but it is proportional with the overall larger size of the breasts so is often well tolerated. Good luck!

Wide breasts?

I think, based on the photos you provide, that you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation. An appropriately sized implant, without trying to go to large, should yield the results you seek. I personally would not recommend areolar reduction unless you plan on getting very large implants.Best of luck!

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Want full, natural looking breasts. Concerned about areolas getting larger and wide set breasts?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I think you are starting from an excellent position and should anticipate a nice augmentation result. Though the exact size and style of implant will depend on your chest wall measurements I would advocate using a higher fill silicone implant available through Sientra or Allergan Inspira product lines and though your breasts and nipples are wider set on your chest you should see some improvement in the distance between your breasts, especially when wearing a bra. Your areola may increase a small amount in size, but should be modest based on the anticipated size of implant to help you achieve a full C.  Hope that this helps.

Cleavage is determined by your underlying anatomy.  If your breasts are very wide apart to begin with, then it is hard to get a lot of cleavage.

Breast augmentation

You have slight asymmetry of the breasts which makes the case for considering a saline implant with slightly different volumes on each side.  Because you have good soft tissue cover, a prepectoral placement of the implant would be fine.  Therefore a textured round saline implant in the 300 cc range would be a good option.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Based on the photos, I think that you are a good candidate for a breast augmentation. I think this procedure may help your areolas to look more proportional to you. I also don't think that your breasts will look far apart. The best way to determine the implant size is to try on implants with a sports bra. Good luck!

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. You have also done a nice job, both in your description and with your goal photographs, communicating your goals here. Yes, the areola size may increase in size slightly with breast augmentation surgery; nevertheless, I would not recommend areola reduction surgery given the downsides of the scar around each areola.
When it comes to selection of breast implant size/profile: ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.   Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" of "fake" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
 I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  I don't think you will have a problem with your areolas.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.
The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  
Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.
Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.
During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.
Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon