Should I explant through existing lollipop scar or do a new under breast incision? (Photo)

I'm having an explant without lift and I'm debating where to place the incision. I had a lollipop lift with my BA 1.5 years ago, so I figured we'd explant through the vertical scar. However, I'm concerned that the new incision will heal thinner than my existing scar (which is quite wide) and would cause puckering or a dent. The other option is to do a new incision under the breast. The downside is the additional scar if I end up not wanting or needing a full anchor lift in the future.

Incision for removal of implants

There should be no reason or particular advantage in adding a new scar. I would suggest to have the removal through the original vertical scar.

London Plastic Surgeon

Where to place incision for explantation

Great question.  I feel it is best to enter at the same incision point.  This will yield better visual results of the scar.  I would highly recommend to incorporate a scar therapy treatment post operatively.  Consult with your surgeon to discuss what scar therapy treatment option he may have for you. Best of luck.    

Camille Cash, MD

Explantation

Hello;
Have the surgeon remove the implants through the scar you already have and also revise the scar at the same time to give you a thinner scar. Without the weight of the implant stretching the skin you should have a better scar result.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

How to remove implants

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

It is always best to use the existing incision.
You are likely to have a capsule that needs to be removed. 
The breast can be tightened at the same time to improve the shape.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Should I explant through existing lollipop scar or do a new under breast incision?

Thank you for the question and pictures. I would likely recommend that you utilize the existing vertical scars (and undergo scar revision surgery at the same time) for breast implant removal surgery. Best wishes.

Implant removal

It is probably reasonable to remove the old implant through the old scar and revise the old scar as well. Best of luck.

Explantation

I would advise a total capsulectomy through the existing scars combined with an internal mastopexy and a donut if there is extra skin.  You will have the benefit of better scars and no additional scars.

Susan Kolb, MD

Explanation scar

The present vertical scars are the best option approach for your explanation. The present scars could be revised at the same time and slightly tightened to decrease the loose skin that you will have. Besides that, if you have silicone gel implants, look into an en block capsule and implant removal to remove it completely. I do it often with great, clean results in order to avoid future capsule problems if left behind. Thank you. 

Luis A. Vinas, MD

No new scar

Most surgeons would use an existing scar.  In your care I would excise the entire old vertical scar, because it is wide, and the close it.  It should leave a nicer scar because there is no tension when removing the implant.  Good luck. Jane