My breasts are a size 34A cup. How big should I go?

The right size for you

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for breast implants.

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

#breastaugmentation
#findingtherightsize
#BA

How big?

Thank you for your question.  Without photos or more importantly, an in-person evaluation, it is nearly impossible to tell you what would be best and realistic for you.  Please be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon who will be able to guide you in the breast augmentation.

Breast size for breast augmentation

Hi. How large to go for a breast augmentation widely varies and is really a matter of personal preference that is different for each patient. Looking through pictures can be helpful including websites like implantinfo.com, or love your look.com, or a particular surgeon's website of postoperative photos. As you look through those, you may start to gravitate towards a particular postoperative size range or appearance. When you go in for your consultation you can share that with the surgeon to come up with a plan for you. I would be happy to meet with you in consultation to discuss that if it would be helpful. I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon with good experience in breast augmentation. I hope that helps.
Good luck and take care, Dr. Howell

Which Size Works Best

Thanks for your question.  If you could please load a picture that would be really helpful.  Make sure to work with a board certified plastic surgeon on your plastic surgery journey for best results. 

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

Without seeing you in person, it is tough to determine what would be appropriate for you without evaluating you in person. Best of luck.

Without a physical examination it is difficult to respond with accuracy, but the best way to determine which breast implant size is best for you is by first finding out your specific wishes not only with words or letters as in cup size or “not too big” or “natural”, but also with a visual understanding of what you hope to look like. This can be accomplished either with photographs of patients whose breasts and body type look like you, or ideally with photos of patients not only whose breasts and body type visually are similar to yours, but are also a similar height, weight, and pre-operative breast size. In our own practice we have provided that unique functionality on our website to accomplish exactly that.

Unfortunately the most common reason for a woman to be unhappy after her augmentation is feeling as though she is either too big or not big enough. Thankfully, in our practice this is rarely a problem because implant size selection is what we spend most of our time discussing and determining. I do not place the onus of selecting the breast implant size on my patients since they are coming to me for my advice and expertise, but I do ask my patients to be as specific as possible about their aesthetic goals and I then advise them accordingly.

I would advise you to seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast enhancement surgery and make sure that your own sense of aesthetics aligns with that of your plastic surgeon. Your idea of “natural” or “pretty” or “proportionate” might be different from your plastic surgeon’s and it is very important for you to feel confident that you are both of like minds as far as the goals. Best of luck to you and I hope you are successful in achieving the enhancement you are seeking.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Implants sizes, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 
My advice for you is to send your photos to us to give the recommendations you need. 
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Potential size depends on several factors.  First of course is your size goal.  I find that many A cup patients want conservative augmentation to a full B cup or a small C cup.  I'd definitely not recommend setting small goals or the procedure is not worthwhile IMO.
Others wish to go from an A cup to a mid C or even larger.  The ability to achieve a more dramatic size increase depends on the amount and character of the skin and breast tissue present.  A woman for example who has undergone a pregnancy always has more distensability and greater potential for a bigger size change with a natural looking shape and result.  One with very tight skin that's highly elastic can't and shouldn't IMO seek a very large implant "stuffed" into a tight pocket and skin cover.

It would be best for you to meet with one or more ABPS Bd Certified surgeons to discuss your preferences and to hear your options.  I prefer to select the final implant size based on my pre operative patient discussions of goal and contour during the surgical procedure when I can actually see the results from each of multiple available implant sizers.  I find that I can estimate the desired implant based on experience about 85-90% of the time, but would have chosen a less than idea implant size about 10-15% of the time justifying the extra time that I spend during surgery to "get it right."

I hope this helps.  Watch the video above for more information and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Size for breast augmentation

The size would depend on your goals.  A board certified plastic surgeon would then be able to discuss with you whether or not this is realistic.  The best results occur when patients select implants that fit their body properly.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon