No bra? I am 6 days post op.

My surgeon took me out of my surgical bra on day 4 and put on a strap. Yesterday he had me remove the strap and wants me to go braless. I'm kind of shocked! I don't know ANYONE else who went braless so soon after surgery. Any thoughts??

Bra questions

Each surgeon has his or her own recommendations regarding type and use of bras and straps after breast surgery.  I would follow your surgeons recommendations as he or she knows your particular situation better than any other provider.  Good luck

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

No bra after breast augmentation

Recent studies have shown a higher chance of capsular contracture in women that wore tight bras right after augmentation.  Follow your PS's advice.  He or she knows much more than your friends (or info on the internet).  

No bra after surgery, is this ok?

There is no routine for bra or bandeau strap use after a breast augmentation.  If your doctor feels that the garments are not helping with the ideal recovery from your augmentation, then going braless is fine.  Some doctors prefer that you do not wear a bra to avoid the bra pushing the implants upward.  Don't worry and if you are still concerned, discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

I'm assuming from your description of the surgery that the implants were placed under the muscle. Usually these implants will migrate upward and outward towards the underarm in the first couple of weeks with the pressure of the overlying pectoralis muscle being increased after surgery. What we would like his plastic surgeons, is for these implants to slowly drop into the bottom of the pocket that we have created. With upward pressure from a tightfitting bra, this may disallow that from happening, keeping the implant in the upward portion of the pocket. I agree with your plastic surgeon and letting gravity do its thing allowing this implant to naturally drop to the bottom of the pocket created for. Therefore, I recommend to our patients after submuscular breast augmentation, that they either wear a camisole or a sports type bra or no bra at all for this exact same reason. Best of luck and congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

No bra 6 days post op?

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures.  I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none) and long term scar management. The best person to advise you on this is your specific surgeon as he or she knows your specific situation better than any other surgeon. 

Bra or No Bra After Surgery

It is always best to follow the advice of your own, personal board certified plastic surgeon. We all have our own way of doing things, our own opinions and our own techniques that sometimes vary from other plastic surgeons. If you ask 3 plastic surgeons, you may get 5 different answers! Congratulations and best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Early post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question,

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

No bra post op day 6

Every surgeon has their preferences. I usually recommend that my patients avoid any type of tight or compressive bra after surgery, but I do like some support beneath the breast to take tension off the incision. I've found that my patients are more comfortable with some type of support during the first three to four weeks after surgery. I strongly recommend following your surgeon's advice.   

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Bra vs no bra

There are surgeons that use bras and those that don't.  I put patients in a sports bra strictly for comfort. Best of luck.