Lower Bleph Incision after Stitches removed. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am one week post op, lower and upper bleph. Sutures removed yesterday. My lower lid has a "crimped" wavy effect from the sutures and isn't covered well w/ makeup. I have attached pics, it's really noticeable, especially when I squint my eyes. PS assured me this was normal and was just a result of suture technique. Just would like some other views and reassurance on 1) Is this normal? 2) How long before this "crimped" look subsides and 3) Any recommendations to speed up or help that process?

Lower Eyelid Bleph Incision

It is extremely early in the post-operative phase and I would not be concerned at this point. It may take a few months to settle down and flatten, but please give it more time. For only being one week post-op I think you are doing fine.

Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty incision

The blepharoplasty incision at one week after surgery may appear wrinkled or irregular.  A gentle massage using Q-tip and a moisturizer in that area along with using warm compresses will make a big difference over the next few weeks.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Interesting.

This is likely transient.  This type of issue seldom persists.  I suspect it will be much better in a week.  If any of it persists, it may need a revision and generally this would be considered a minor procedure that is typically done in an office procedure room.

Lower lid scar

You do have some bunching of the scar secondary to the type of closure done.  This should smooth out with time.  So light massage will also help.  I would not use makeup as it can get caught in the small holes and will be hard to remove. 

Lower lid blepharoplasty with muscle bunching

The patient is one week following a lower lid transcutaneous blepharoplasty. There is some bunching of the skin muscle in the lateral portion of the incision. Because of the swelling and healing after one week it is much too early to be concerned about this. It is likely that this will resolve without any concern. In fact, sometimes this bunching is caused by extra sutures that support of the lower lid structures which help prevent dry eyes and scleral show. I encourage the  patient to stick with her plastic surgeon and anticipate that this will resolve.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Lower lid incisions

Reaction to sutures such as this are quite common. Your body will heal this and the incisions will smooth out on their own. I usually tell patients to avoid common scar treatments such as vitamin E or mederma as the thin lid skin is sensitive and can become more inflamed. You should start to see improvement over time but it may take weeks to a few months. Hang in there!

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Will my lower eyelids improve?

Thanks for posting your question - Normally this sort of effect will settle over a couple of weeks. Some gently massage to the area may help, but I would only suggest doing this after consultation with your plastic surgeon.

Overall it appears that you will have a very nice result when this settles.

Takes time

The crimping and irritation from the sutures can take some time such as a week or two, sometimes longer to settle down.

Lower lid scar

This is nothing to worry about. I would recommend waiting a week before starting massage since you are only a week out from surgery. More than likely, the irregularities will resolve over the next few weeks.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Incision at one week

It is too early in the healing process to determine how the final scar will be.  Give it time. Best of luck.