8 days PO, left implant pocket seems higher & more narrow. Will this even out over time or is the pocket too shallow? (Photo)

I am 8 days post op breast augmentation with mentor 400cc mod + implants under the muscle. Inframammary incision. I'm concerned as my implant pocket on the left seems tighter at the bottom causing the left implant to appear more narrow and have more upper pole fullness than the right. I am vigorously massaging the implant in all directions but especially downwards (which is the most painful causing intense burning at the incision on the left side only) Would an ace wrap at night help?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

8 days post-op, lt implant is tighter

Assymetries are common early on after breast augmentation and can be due to many things. It could be that you have more swelling on the rt, the lt side may be tighter or you could have an unrecognized asymmetry of your chest wall that causes the implant to sit differently on the lt. We give 3-6 months for silicone implants to "settle". I usually see my patients at 1 wk, 3 wks and then once a month if there is an asymmetry until the problem is resolved. I don't think an ace wrap is strong enough to push an implant down at night. I would make an appt with your plastic surgeon to discuss this.

Karen Quigley, MD

8 days PO, left implant pocket seems higher & more narrow. Will this even out over time or is the pocket too shallow?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

In cases where significant breast asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

It's too early to know at this point. There is still a lot of swelling this early. If you are really concerned then book a follow up with your surgeon so they can reassure you. Best of luck!  

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Breast Augmentation Healing Time

Thanks for your question and photograph. At 1 week after a breast augmentation, it is normal to notice asymmetry. Each breast is independent of the other as far as healing. If you are right handed, the right breast implant may drop faster. It takes about 12 weeks for the implants to get to their optimal position. I would recommend expressing your concerns to your plastic surgeon for reassurance.