6 weeks post op. 1 larger and lower. Is this something that will resolve with time? (Photo)

I had my breast augmentation 6 weeks ago. I am mostly VERY happy, however I am concerned about the difference in size. My right breast dropped very quickly. It's softer, larger and lower than my left. I was told there was more work that needed to be done on my right, so swelling could be the issue. Is this something that will resolve with time? I feel like it's quite a bit larger.

Breast augmentation: It takes 9-12 months for breasts to settle, soften and shape

Settling, softening, and shaping is a 9 to 12-month process and healing may be different from one side to the other. At 6 weeks after surgery, the breast implants are just starting to settle. At 3 months patients are about 75 to 80 percent healed and then the process slows down. Your results look pretty good, and I advise my patients that most woman have sisters for breasts not twins. When all is said and done, in clothes for sure, they will be sisters from the same family. Hope this is reassuring and good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

6 weeks post op. 1 larger and lower. Is this something that will resolve with time?

Given the asymmetry of the breasts in the preoperative photos, I think that the early postoperative result is very good.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... breasts are never the same size one from the other, besides that the surgery is performed to make them almost the same, to look stetic and beautiful as yours look, consult with your surgeon if this changes more.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast asymmetry

The two breasts were asymmetric to begin with and implants only magnify the difference.  Best of luck.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend consulting with your surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. It does appear that you had some asymmetry pre-operatively which is completely normal, most women do but this means that your post op results will probably still have some asymmetry if something wasn't done during surgery to correct this such as placing two different sized implants. You are still early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may also appear uneven. Over the first 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

You are right and I see the assymetry.  Looking at your pre-op picture confirms similar assymetry.  You are still early in the healing phase.  Some improvement will still occur and your plastic surgeon can explain the surgery to you.  Good luck with your recovery!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Asymmetry 6 wks after BA

Thanks for your question! The most obvious answer is that your breasts will always be a bit asymmetric. I think you are saying that they are more different now than they were pre-op. If the implant size used in your surgery was the same for both sides, you can rest assured that swelling is the cause for the size difference. 

The positional difference is still very much in flux. You can expect significant changes between now and 4 months post-op. There is nothing that you can do at this point, mother nature and gravity are going to do their work and you will have to asses the situation at that point. I am slightly concerned that your left side is showing signs of bottoming out. You should discuss with your PS at the next appointment. I am not very confident in this, I hope I am wrong! Best of luck!