I'm 54, sex is very painful. I've read about the Mona Lisa Laser. Any suggestions?

It seems to solved many issues with no surgery. Do you recommend?

Painful sex is a symptom, not a diagnosis and requires expert evaluation

Mona Lisa and FemiLift work well for many women who have painful sex related to vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy. However, there are many other reasons for painful sex and these must be evaluated by  your gynecologist before any treatment can be recommended.

Painful intercourse

Thank you for your question.I would recommend you first consult with your gynecologist about the pain you are experiencing during intercourse. If it is due to vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy then the MonaLisa Touch would be a good option for you. The MonaLisa Touch is a minimally invasive laser treatment for vaginal rejuvenation and can be performed in the office without the need for anesthesia. The laser stimulates the production of collagen restoring the proper trophic balance to the mucous membrane and thickening the vaginal walls. In doing so this can improve vaginal moisture and reduce friction during sexual intercourse. I hope this helps!
Good luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Painful Sex

The MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser works by thickening the vaginal walls and improving moisture.  If that is the reason you are experiencing pain then it will likely help.  Pain with sex can also be caused by other problems such as vaginal muscle spasm or pelvic organ prolapse for example.  Get an evaluation first, but then if your doctor tells you that they believe your problem is vaginal atrophy then consider the MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser.

Painful sex and vaginal rejuvenation

Laser vaginal rejuvenation or similar procedures are appropriate for painful sex, dyspareunia, related to vaginal atrophy or thinning of the vaginal tissues.  Careful examination is imperative to ensure proper diagnosis.

Mitchell C. Kaye, MD, FACS
Scottsdale Urologist

It's always good to ask the question!

It is very important to find out why you are having painful sex.  Don't feel alone. After menopause, when estrogen levels decline, many women experience changes that can really affect their quality of life. The MonaLisa Touch delivers gentle laser energy to the vaginal wall tissue that stimulates a healing response by generating new collagen, elastin and vascularization.  I would highly recommend that you visit your doctor and start the conversation and see if you are a good candidate for MonaLisa Touch.  You might be on the road to enjoying sex again.

MonaLisa Touch (MLT) for painful intercourse

When dyspareunia is secondary to vaginal atrophy, MLT can be very helpful. It is important to understand that there are other reasons that sexual intercourse can cause pain so make certain that the correct diagnosis has been made before undergoing treatment.

Get a proper evaluation

Anybody who experiences pain during sex needs to see their gynecologist for a proper evaluation. If you have already done so, but recommendations haven't helped then seek a second opinion by someone who specializes in female sexual dysfunction.
If you have pain with initial penetration then any laser is likely not going to help you. Laser ablation of the vagina will improve vaginal dryness, but you don't seem to be describing this. You need a proper evaluation. 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Painful sex

If dryness, tightness is a "new" problem then probably this would help. The menopause is a major cause of this. However, estrogen treatment also works and may be easier(?). Ask your GYN, and if so, ask him/her for a referral to someone in your area who is familiar with MLT for a good opinion.

Help painful sex with the laser

As a board-certified urologist and a expert an in female pelvic medicine and pelvicreconstruction I have looked for solutions for women who have recurrent bladder infections, vaginal atrophy leading to painful sex and incontinence. The Mona Lisa laser therapy has been a game changer for women who have failed estrogen cream or chronic medications. It requires no surgery or anesthesia and is a simple 5 minute office procedure.

MonaLisa Touch

As a gynecologist who has been in practice for over ten years, the MonaLisa Touch has been nothing but positive for patients suffering from menopausal vaginal atrophy, which includes dryness, irritation, and painful intercourse. My patients range from those who refuse to use hormones, dislike vaginal hormones, or who have failed hormone therapy. I understand your hesitation, because the treatment sounds too good to be true since the treatment is simple, painless, non-hormonal with no known side effects.  Fractional CO2 laser technology has been applied in other fields, including the face, and has been demonstrated safe, as it has been FDA cleared for gynecological use. Our brave patients have voluntarily stood up in front of an audience of other women and thanked us for providing them with quality care along with this life-changing, relationship-saving procedure. Adopting the MonaLisa Touch for my practice  have been extremely gratifying, knowing that I have a treatment option for women that have been physically suffering from menopausal dryness. Please schedule your appointment today for a consult with your gynecologist offering this revolutionary procedure. Best of luck!