2 Weeks Post Op - Whole right side of right breast completely numb. Any suggestions?

My surgeon didn't seem concerned at my 9 day post op visit but is numbness normal at 2 weeks post? It's the entire right side of my right breast. Along with that I have terrible burning pain whenever I lay down or get up, but only in my right side. Doc gave me neurontin but after a week my script is up and I haven't noticed any relief.

Pain and strange sensations after breast augmentation

The most likely cause of paresthesias (burning, itching, pins and needles) in the first weeks after breast implant surgery is the stretching or tension on the chest nerves.  The nerves which supply sensation to the nipple come from the side of the breast and pass just above the outside edge of the implant. As the nerve gets used to the tension and the capsule forms, the strange sensations fade away.  The numbness can also be from stretching of nerves or possibly from the incision itself.  I know it can be difficult to ignore but usually the sensation improves within the first 3 months.

Numbness in the breast two weeks after augmentation

Numbness in the breast two weeks after augmentation  is not uncommon.  Thank you for your question and I appreciate your concern. The lateral thoracic nerves can become stretched and cause the symptoms you are describing .  This usually resolves within 3-6 months. Please consult with your surgeon .   Best wishes in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery

Thank-you for this very important concern.  Temporary and permanent changes in nerve are not uncommon following all surgeries.  You are right to see your surgeon and discuss options with him/her.  Most of these temporary changes resolve with time but some are permanent.  Most improve with time but keep in touch with your doctor and I wish you best of luck with improvement.

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I understand your concerns. You did not indicate what incision was utilized for your breast augmentation. Assuming that it was a inframammary incision, it is not uncommon to get some areas of skin numbness in the region of the incision. These almost always resolved over time, but it may take several months to completely resolved. At two weeks out, there may simply be some irritation of the nerve causing temporary numbness. If this is the case, that should resolve quickly. Although Neurontin can certainly help, it may not be completely unnecessary and can have some unpleasant side effects. I suspect the numbness should resolve with time. Best regards