Ask for D's. Measuring a 36C?

I started at a 36 B. I specifically told my PS and his Nurse on several occasions and the day of surgery I want to go up to a D cup. He placed 500cc HP Mentor Gel which I was under the impression would give me what I wanted and asked for. However, I'm measuring a 36C. How does this happen? Should I have went with 600cc? I'm not happy

Wanted D cups, got C's

It's basically impossible to promise and deliver a specific cup size as there are many variables involved. Most important is that each company sizes differently now and don't really follow the standards anymore. It's better the judge the overall appearance rather than a questionable bra measurement. Hope that helps! 

Breast Implant Size

Breast Implant Size is a combination of subjective and objective criteria.380 cc is a reasonable recommendation. There is not a direct correlation between the cc's of a breast implant and the corresponding cup size, as cup size is an inexact measurement that varies considerably among companies and even within the same company. Online consultants will not be able to guide you as well as surgeons who perform in person consultation.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Sizing

Thank you for your question. How far out of surgery are you? Final sizing may depend on how far along post op you are as the implant may still need to fall, fluff out, etc. before it reaches it's final shape/size. Your body type could also determine how big of an implant that the surgeon could use. Keep in mind bra sizes also vary between brands as well. You may be a D cup in one brand but be a C in another. I have patients comment on that all the time. Hope this helps. Discuss with your surgeon if you are still unhappy but if you are not far out of surgery then you may want to give it some time to allow the implant to settle. Internet discussion does not replace the advice of your physician.Wish you all the best,Dr. Henry Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Concerns after breast augmentation…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. You did not say how far out of surgery you are currently;  this makes a big difference when it comes to evaluation of the outcome of procedure performed.

Generally speaking, every patient undergoing breast augmentation surgery should understand that their anatomic starting point will limit the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.    In other words, a patient's starting anatomy will limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. The use of a larger breast implant (than what is safely "allowed" by the patient's anatomy) can be problematic;  potential problems include breast implant displacement/malpostion issues ( such as bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia...)  and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.

Keep in mind also that there is no reliable correlation between breast implant size utilized and cup achieve; there is simply too much variation in cup sizes  to allow for use of cup sizes as a reference point.   In my practice, I ask patients not to communicate their goals and/or judge the outcome of surgery based on achieving specific cup sizes.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  if in the longer term you remain displeased with your breast size, re augmentation with larger breast implants may be an option.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast Implants/Breast Reduction/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue as implant size does not accurately correlate to a bra size.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. SchwartzBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Did you try on sizers?

500 cc should be a D, but the 36 measurement may be part of the problem.  Did you try sizers on and see what you liked.