How much of a difference in size does the swelling make?

I'm only 2 days post op. I'm 5'6" and 120lbs. I was a 32-34 A before getting 410 cc moderate profile silicone under the muscle. I discussed with my PS that my goal was to be a full C/small D. I know its only two days later but I finally switched into a bra from the post op bandeau and I'm fitting a 34C! I figured with swelling I would be a little bigger. Does this mean once the swelling goes down I may drop a cup size down to a B cup?!

Worried about size of implant on day 2

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.
  • Your under the muscle implant sits high on your chest - 
  • So you will tend to fit a smaller bra now, than after it settles,
  • The swelling accounts for about a 1/2 cup of size
  • But with a 410 cc implant, you will be larger than normal - the definition of a D cup.
  • Different manufacturers make different cup sizes - they are not scientific.
  • So don't worry now - wait for the implants to settle.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information helps. Best wishes.

Difference in size does the swelling make

There is usually a little bit of swelling following augmentation. It would be unusual to decrease a full cup size as the swelling resolves. Initially, when an implant is placed especially under the muscle, the muscle and the overlying skin can flatten the implant a bit so it does not project as much. As the muscle and skin relaxes, the breast sometimes appears better shaped one's final result. And may even appear slightly larger. This varies from individual to individual. It is very hard to predict this on postoperative day 2.

Swelling post

2 days postop is too early to assess the results, and the swelling will make the assessment even more challenging. A 410 cc moderate profile gel implant seems an appropriate choice for your goals. Trust that you made the right choice in surgeon and continue to follow your surgeon's guidance as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you. You can always assess with your surgeon 6 months post op to determine if you achieved your desired result.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

How much difference does swelling make

You are only 2 days out. The breasts have not taken shape, and you have swelling not only in your breasts, but around the breasts as well normally. That swelling needs to subside, which will make your breasts look fuller then. A 410cc implant is a good sized implant. Depending on how small you were i.e. all A cups are not the same then you should be ok. A general rule of thumb is 150cc per cup. So you went up 2 3/4 cup sizes. i.e. a 450 cc implant would have been 3 cup sizes. Do not pay attention to the number, as this is your chest wall size not breast size. Also you will not drop that much in size as swelling subsides. Hang in there. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Depends on patient

This is a hard question to answer because everyone swells at different rates. The shape of your breasts is also not what it should be because you're so early in your recovery. Try not to think about size until after about  3 or 4 months, since by that time you'll be able to judge your results better.

Swelling is variable. At teo days postop you are early in the healing process and it is impossible to forsee the final result at this time. Typically it takes 6 weeks to 3 months for swelling to subside and the implants to settle. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Too early to evaluate the outcome

After the breast augmentation, there is not that much swelling.  The implants will settle and the skin and muscle with stretch to accommodate the implants.  I find that after 6 months the implants generally look a little larger when everything relaxes.  You should still be a C after 6 months.