What can I do to fix this problem? (photos)

Hi Doctors, recently my right eye has been looking significantly smaller than my left eye. It seems to be more noticeable in pictures. What can I do to fix this problem?

Doctor Answers 11

Ptosis at young age

It's always difficult to make a diagnosis based on photos but from what you've submitted, it appears that you might have a mild ptosis (droopy eyelid) on the right side.  If that's the case, you need to find out if there is a medical reason to be having the ptosis.  It could be a muscular problem which might be treated with medication.  After determining that the ptosis is not medically related or doesn’t require medical intervention, there are different options for treatment.  Sometimes surgery is indicated.  But with a new onset of ptosis in a young person, I would definitely see someone promptly to make sure there is no medical reason and then you can look at options for correction, if necessary.  Good luck.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

Eyelid dropping is ptosis

If the ptosis is new onset, you should seek an ophthalmologist evaluation to make sure your ptosis is not a sign of a broader medical problem. Also, some eye infections can cause the eye to look smaller. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Smaller Right Eye

Thank you for your question. While it is difficult to say with certainty given the angle and size of the photo you submitted, it appears that you have ptosis (drooping) of your right upper eyelid. This can be treated with surgery. I would recommend evaluation and treatment with an oculoplastic surgeon (an eyelid, lacrimal, and orbital specialist).

Henry Lee, MD
Warren Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Ptosis (drooping eyelid)

Thank you for sharing your question. Multiple treatments are possible to correct your asymmetrical eyelids. See an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of potential treatment options.  Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

Smaller eye

It is important to be seen by an oculplastic surgeon to find out if you have ptosis of the eyelid or not. A proper diagnosis is the first step in treating it. RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 107 reviews


It looks like you have a condition called ptosis of the right eye.  This can potentially be corrected with surgery.  I would see a facial plastic or an occuloplastic surgeon who specializes in treating this condition.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

Smaller eye

Hi, It is hard to tell exactly from the photo what is going on.  You may have ptosis, which is a drooping of the eyelid or sometimes the eye itself can become sunken making it look smaller.  I would suggest a full examination by an oculoplastic surgeon.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Ptosis repair most likely will fix the problem

Your photograph shows that the right upper lid is drooping compared to the left. It is difficult to give a precise assessment with the tilt to the left and the small frame of the photo. There are other possible diagnoses - but ptosis is the most likely. You may want to visit with an Oculoplastic surgeon for an evaluation. Your history is important for background of the problem (trauma, contact lenses, etc). Measurements will help to determine the procedure used to fix the problem. Oculoplastic surgeons have the most experience with levator muscles and you could find one in your area by visiting the link below. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Sunken eye

The photos are inadequate to evaluate.  While you may have ptosis it is possible that you have a bony asymmetry that is not easily corrected.  You need to be seen and evaluated by a plastic surgeon who has craniofacial experience if this is the case..

Richard O. Gregory, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Uneven Eyes

It is difficult to make any true evaluation based upon this one photograph, however it appears that you have ptosis of your right eye. This needs to be evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon. If it is ptosis, then it can be repaired surgically.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.