My lips are very swollen from Juvederm injections. My bottom lip is very hard & stuff/discomfort. Is this normal? (Photos)

I had my lips injected with one syringe of Juvederm about 12 hours ago. Presently, my lips are very swollen, bottom lip is stiff & hard, swelling is also around the lips. I woke up out of my sleep with pain & discomfort and looked in the mirror and now I'm very scared. My previous experiences were nothing like this, I had minimal swelling and no pain or hardness. I've taken Claritin, Startied icing on and off about 3 hours ago, applied some arnica gel and not much has improved. Is this normal?

Lip swelling after Juvederm

It is very common to experience lip swelling after filler injection. It's usually worst in the first 1-3 days and gets better within 1-2 weeks. Applying ice as you have done is a good idea; it also helps to sleep with your head elevated for a few nights and to use over-the-counter pain meds as needed for discomfort. 

Portland Physician

Swollen Lips 12 Hours After Juvederm

Yes, swelling is normal. Try taking some arnica and bromelain herbal supplements. Allow up to 3-4 weeks for the swelling to come down before attempting to reverse your look with hyaluronidase.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Lip augmentation

Lip swelling is quite common after injection and often is worse that other areas. Usually within a few days it gets better, but can last 1-2 weeks.

Juvederm lip injections

It is not always unusual to have some swelling following lip injections. Usually it will subside, but this may take a week or two. If you are having pain you need to call you injector and discuss this with them. They may need to examine you to ensure that your symptoms are normal swelling and that there is not anything more serious going on. 

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Final Result After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Gentle massage may be beneficial.  In general, after lip augmentation with fillers, it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  Typically there is no pain after lip augmentation with fillers.  If you continue to have any concerns or experience pain, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Christian N. Ford, MD
Cohasset Physician

Swelling after lip augmentation with filler

It is common to experience swelling/bruising after lip augmentation with filler. In a worst case scenario, the swelling could last up to two weeks. Your photos demonstrate typical post procedure swelling. The pain is somewhat atypical but I see no signs of necrosis or infection. I would followup with your injector if you notice any color changes, skin necrosis or the pain continues. Otherwise, the swelling will resolve. Just hang in there. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician