I had Restylane for my lips and I want to know if I can take Advil for the pain? It was 12 hours ago

Lip Pain Post Resytlane

I would not expect you to have any pain post Restylane, especially 12 hours after injection. I would try ice over Advil at first and if that does not help try Tylenol. If you are still having pain the next day, I would contact your physician.

Lip Pain Post Resytlane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

FIllers and pain

Having some discomfort can occur especially when the lips are treated. Some medications like Advil may make bruising worse. You also want to make sure you are not allergic to any of these meds. Often I recommend tylenol to those not allergic.  Best to ask your doctor.

FIllers and pain

Restylane and side effects

Restylane is a fabulous injection for the lips.  You can have bruising or some swelling or discomfort after the procedure.  I always recommend taking Arnica before any injection and refrain from taking anything that could cause bruising.  Advil, Motrin, or Tylenol, will all help the discomfort.  Icing the area helps as well.  Best, Dr. Green

Restylane and side effects

Advil after filler injection to lips

A better question is why are you having so much pain after your lip injection? Is it because of the discomfort from too much volume/ swelling or from bruising? It might be a good idea to follow up with your provider to make sure everything is ok.  Advil should be safe for pain control at this point, except it may make the bruising worse because it's a blood thinner.  Best of luck! 

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD
Mission Viejo Plastic Surgeon

Advil after filler injection to lips

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD
Mission Viejo Plastic Surgeon

Bruising Prevention with Toxin and Fillers

In order to mimimize potential bruising, avoid the following products 7 days prior to treatment and for up to 7 days after treatment: Alcohol, Aspirin, Vitamin E, anticoagulants such as Plavix, Coumadin, Fish Oil, St. John's Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginger, Garlic, Feverfew or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory products such as Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn). In your case, take tylenol or use cold compresses.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Advil for pain after Restylane injections into lips

Thank you for sharing your question. It would probably be safe to take Advil at this point, as long as you do not seem to be bruising. You would be better off trying cold compresses and taking Tylenol before taking Advil, since it is a blood thinner. Good luck,