I was wondering how long it will take till I can return back to my normal routine at the gym?

I will be getting laser lipo on my triceps, inner/outer thighs as well as inner knee on December 28th 2016. I work full time in an office where I sit all day but also personnel train as well as teach group fitness classes where I perform and teach routines consisting of cardio and weight training.

Exercise after Laser Lipo

I usually recommend no strenuous exercise for 1 week after Laser Lipo. Light exercise (like walking at a mild to moderate pace) will help mobilize the fluid and can be started the evening of the procedure or the next day. Good luck.

Livingston Physician

Back to exercise after laser liposuction

Laser liposuction generally has only minimal downtime especially when performed under local anesthesia.  I usually recommend patients start light walking the day after surgery and increasing as tolerated.  In general, pounding type exercises like running or intense classes take about a week before they are comfortable to do.  It is important to keep in mind that wearing some compression during exercise will be necessary for a few weeks.  However, patients who are already in good shape with an exercise routine generally recover faster than the average patient.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Give yourself time

Everyone is different but one of the great things about liposuction is that most people recover pretty quickly and can get back to their routines sooner than if they were having major surgery. Most likely your surgeon will recommend wearing a compression garment for several weeks to months and this is something that I recommend as well. As far as your activity goes, most people can get back to light activities in a couple of days depending on their comfort, swelling, and drainage. For more strenuous activities they can usually start in a couple of weeks with their garments on. If you go to a board certified plastic surgeon, they will routinely discuss an expected post operative course and recommendations for activities with you.

I wish you good health and happiness!

Amir Nasir, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon