Terrified- Scheduled TT without MR and BL w/ Implants. I have HIGH pain anxiety and am paying for the Exparel shot. (photos)

I have lost a significant amount of weight. My breast are sagging and my stomach is loose and saggy. I have worked out hard and my Dr. said we won't have to do much, if any, MT in the TT. However, now I am seeing info about drains and intense pain and I am terrified. I have opted for the Exparel shot, have an adjustable bed, & potty riser. My best friend will be there the first 2 days. What do I need to do to prepare, and what pain am I in for?

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on proceeding with this surgery.  It sounds like you're already getting well prepared.  Just follow your surgeon's instructions and you should be fine.  Good luck.

Mommy makeover pain can be well-controlled with judicious use of local anesthetics and pain medication.

Most patients are relieved to find that mommy makeover surgery is not as painful as anticipated. Much of this has to do with proper use of local anesthetics and stronger anti-inflammatory medication. Narcotics are sometimes needed.

Full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction will give you an excellent outcome

You should be having the muscle reconstruction.  You are missing an opportunity to get the best outcome.  The pain can easily be controlled.

Combine Procedures to Minimize Overall Pain and Recovery Time

The mommy makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, #breastreduction. Additional procedures that may enhance the result are Liposuction, Breast Procedures, or Thigh Lift. Mommy makeovers usually include multiple operations.  Brazilian “butt enhancement” can be done at the same time to provide best body contours. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common.It is a good idea to discuss all of your concerns with pain and recovery time with your surgeon before the actual procedure. Best of luck to you!

Mommy makeover

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  You are doing well to be so prepared.  The Exparel injection will help greatly with the discomfort after surgery.  Narcotic medications can be used as well to control the pain.  Keep pillows on hand to put under your knees if your bed doesn't adjust that area.  The recovery will be temporary, but your beautiful results will last.

Camille Cash, MD

Tummy tuck and Breast lift with implants - high pain anxiety!

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast lift with implants.
  • Congratulations on losing so much weight - well done.
  • I assume you are having implants under the muscle -
  • And will have Exparel injected into the pectoral muscle and the rectus muscle of the abdomen.
  • This will hugely reduce your pain - it prevents the intense pain from muscle spasm.
  • Typically you will have little, even no, pain the first two days, the worst day being day three as the Exparel wears off - but not severe.
  • Please ask your doctor for specific guidance
  • But since you are having a lot of surgery and should do very little the first two weeks - get your housework, groceries and laundry done so after surgery you can look after yourself, take short walks but run no errands and do nothing demanding.
  • If the anxiety is disabling, as it is for some people before surgery, ask your surgeon for a mild anxiety medicine to take at night, as needed.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Terrified- Scheduled TT without MR and BL w/ Implants. I have HIGH pain anxiety and am paying for the Exparel shot.

Thank you for your question. It would be quite unnatural to not have some anxiety about an impending surgery, but I applaud you for reaching out for reassurance. Be confidant that you have made the right decision for you and you alone. Entering surgery with a positive mindset will make the recovery that much easier. The majority of patients do quite well with a mommy makeover, and though there is some discomfort as part of the healing response, Exparel will reduce your need for prescription pain medication which should aid your recovery. Reach out to your surgeon to discuss your concerns, they are in the best position to provide you with continued reassurance.