Concerns about Breast Lift - Scars, Costs, etc?

I'm 40 & lost 80 lbs through strict diet & exercise. I've lost a lot of volume in my breast and they are saggy & hang away from my body when I lean over. I've gone to a consult but not sure what is best. I am worried about the incision needed to fix the problem, scars & the overall cost. I don't want big boobs, but would like to be able to wear a strapless dress or bathing suite. I'm 5'2", 25 pounds. What are the questions I should ask, options I should consider and price range to expect.

Incision and Scars for Breast Lift

The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under intravenous sedation and local or general anesthesia. As mentioned above there are a variety of techniques for these operations.  Lollipop lift (vertical lift), donut (periareola) lift, Benelli lift, crescent lift, anchor lift  (inverted T ). Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. These newer techniques are utilized in the vast majority of cases, the rare exception being extremely large breasts. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days. Hopefully this is a helpful summary of the procedure and post-operative healing that you will be able to handle smoothly to attain your desired results. There is no need to only rely on the one consultation you have attended, and you should feel free to seek out the consultation of as many surgeons as possible until you are happy with the information you are provided. Best of luck to you!

How much foes a Breast lift cost?

Cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include: 1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA. 2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?            3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery           4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; many women who experience successful weight loss miss the appearance of their breasts. Many seek breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation surgery.  Your concerns regarding scars is also common; scarring  associated with breast lifting is certainly one of the trade-offs you will need to consider carefully. 

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation surgery.  Sometimes it is necessary to  the few plastic surgeons before you find one you feel confident with. The procedure is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery done alone and careful plastic surgeon selection will be key. It will also be very important that you communicate your goals carefully as well. In our practice, this is best done with the help of computer imaging and goal photographs.  

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss), helps. Best wishes.

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question. Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you go to The American Society of Plastic Surgery website and look for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast lift

I think that you need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.  There are several different techniques and the one best for you will be related to how your breasts look. Best of luck.

Concerns about Breast Lift...

Greetings, 

If you're considering a surgical breast lift, one way to see if it might help you is to put a pencil under your breast and see if it stays there. If it does, a breast lift might be an option. 

The most common breast lift operation, called mastopexy, repositions the nipple higher on the chest wall. It takes about three hours and is usually done under general anesthesia. 

The first step is to consult with a plastic surgeon. When you have decide the best plastic surgeon for you, tell him/her what your goals are. The surgeon will consider your health and describe your options. The surgeon should also explain the procedure in detail and go over the risks and what the recovery will be like. 

Complications after breast lifts are relatively rare. The most common are bleeding, infection, and scarring. Your surgeon will give you instructions for preparing that will help lower your risk of complications. Those instructions will include such things as not smoking, making sure you are off medications that may make bleeding more likely, and taking antibiotics if necessary. The scars will be inevitable but by following your surgeon recommendations the results should be satisfactory. You should also start planning for the recovery period. For instance, you will have to avoid heavy lifting for at least 4 to 6 weeks after your breast lift.  

I hope the information will be useful 

Have a great

Alicia Sigler, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon