Hole in stomach after tummy tuck (Photo)

Had a tummy tuck about 3 weeks ago... Ended up with an infection ( don't know yet haven't heard back from the cultures) I was in excruciating pain and my ps assumed I had a low tolerance for pain. Went to the ER ct scan showed an abscess. Left with whole in my stomach. Ps said use wet to dry dressing I should be ok. I had surgery out of state so when I get home I won't have anyone following me. How bad is my wound?

Infection after tummy tuck

Your wound looks quite clean. There was no need to do a cat scan since this is just a simple wound infection and any board certified plastic surgeon could have easily recognized and treated it. It happens occasionally to the best of surgeons and is a known risk of the procedure . However, this brings up the issue I frequently write about on here and that is the problems encountered when you travel for plastic surgery in that you were some distance away and have no follow up locally. Plastic surgery tourism to other countries is especially troublesome as we recently have seen patients dying and getting infected with strange organisms (mycobacterium in the Dominican Republic) but even traveling out of state can be an issue unless you are going for some highly specialized procedure not done in your locale which is very unusual. Most geographic locales in the US have an excellent board certified plastic surgeon within easy driving distance. In fact , it says you are from Birmingham , Alabama which has one of the highest densities of board certified plastic surgeons of any city in the US as well as a prestigious training program at UAB. Going out of state for a tummy tuck if you live in Birmingham is like someone who lives in Hollywood going out of state to find a movie star. While it is true a lot of surgeons will not follow you after an out of state procedure that is not universally true. In fact I do see patients who need this type of care as I feel we should be compassionate and also help out our fellow surgeons around the country. In regard to your problem it should heal well and has a good chance of even being cosmetically acceptable although i would put the need for a scar revision at a bout a 50% chance.. I wish you all the best.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hole in stomach after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph. I am sorry to hear of your post surgical abscess but it appears that it was taken care of well.  There does not appear to be any residual infection present and the tissues left behind are pink and healthy appearing.  Your body will heal this from the inside-out as you perform the dressing changes but it will take a couple of months to fully heal.  Hope this helps.

Hole in stomach after tummy tuck

You should follow up with your primary care doctor or a plastic surgeon in your area. Looking at your pictures, the wound appears to be healing nicely and there is no skin necrosis evident. Wounds like this will generally heal within 4 to 8 weeks and will not impact your long term result.

Wound post tummy

After looking at your wound it looks fine.Seems clean and should heal without much adverse effects.May need local revision later.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wound Healing after Tummy Tuck

Based on the photo, your wound is clean and well cared for. Wet to dry dressing changes is appropriate and I expect you'd be healed within a month. Best wishes.

Wound

the wound looks clean and should heal.  I comment all the time... why travel?  if there is a problem you are left without care. drives me nuts

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon