Lumps from Belotero lip injection (Photo)

3 days post op , I have bumps one specifically huge lump on my lip that does not look like swelling , I usually do not bruise or swell much at all. I have hard restylane once before and the results were lumpy which I had to have the medicine to take it out- I went to the same Doctor he told me belotero was a new "formula it wouldn't happen again. Well it did , what to do now? I have been massaging it with no luck . Should I see a different Doctor? Mine told me to come back that i just need MORE!

Lumpy Lips

Lips can easily swell after injection in an uneven fashion.  Sometimes a spot may appear to be a lump but will look better once the swelling has resolved.  You really should wait 2 weeks before judging.  If you are really concerned, you can see your physician at one week. Your physician can massage the product. If it is truly a lump, it can be dissolved with hylenex.

Westborough Ophthalmologist

Brushing vs filler vs bruising and filler. Give 2 weeks.

Belotero is a very nice, soft filler, unless a lot of filler was placed in one specific location, it is unlikely to be lumpy. This maybe related to a bruise. If its at day 3, my advice is to massage, and like others on this forum, I always believe that you should give this 12-14 days to settle. Hylase enzyme can always dissolve any residual lumps. Belotero is like Juvederm and Restylane - called a HA Filler and hence reversible. All the best,Dr Davin Lim . Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Thank you for your question.  Belotero is a smoother form of filler however anything injected in the sensitive lip area has the potential of bruising.  You can massage the lip area to smooth the lumps as the gel does take weeks to smooth.  If the lumps are still evident, the filler may not have been injected properly. Contact the physician who administered the procedure for a follow up and as always, ensure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Belotero lip injection

Swelling and bruising is common the first few days after lip filler injection and can last up to 14 days. Yes, Belotero is a "softer" filler then Restylane and the incidence of lumps is lower. In your case, the lumps maybe related to bruising. I would wait 2 weeks to see the end result. If the lumps have not resolved by that point, then the filler be have been inappropriately placed and will need to be treated with massage and/or hyaluronidase injection.

Swelling after lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps after Belotero

Belotero is a softer filler than Restylane, and is typically associated with a softer feel and fewer lumps.  Three days is not a very long time after filler injections, especially to the lips which usually swell pretty significantly.  I recommend time, cold compresses, and perhaps some oral Arnica supplements to speed resolution of swelling; after 2 weeks, follow-up with your treating physician to reassess.  If the bump resolves, it is likely caused by swelling or a small bruise.  If the lump persists, it may be balled-up filler, which is best treated with massage and hyaluronidase injections.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after lip filler

Your physician is correct, there are less incidences of lumpiness after Belotero filler injections. It does depend on the filler used was it Balance, intense or Volume? From your pictures I can see that there is some unevenness that looks like it is due to an underlying bruise, this coupled with swelling gives the impression of lumpy lips. I would suggest to ice the lips to make sure that the swelling goes down and wait 2 weeks to your review appointment so that your doctor can accurately assess the lumps if they remain. One can not tell at this stage whether you need more fillers as there is still a degree of swelling. Wait 14 days then reassess. Keep us updated.