Is It Normal to Be Swollen and Hard After 2.5 Months Post Liposuction on Abdomen?

I had liposuction on abdomen 2.5 months ago. The swelling has gone down a little and it is not too tender now. I still have problems with numbness sensation in my abdomen. My abdomen also feels a little hard. Is this normal? When will most of the swelling go away? I have not gained any weight in reality I lost 15 pounds due to exercise and diet control. I am not obese and am normal for my height (5ft 1in and 115 pounds). Do I need to get a massage on my abdomen? Is there something wrong?

Firmness After Liposuction

Healing from liposuction always takes longer than people expect.  Remember, the fatty tissues underneath the skin have been traumatized at every level by the fat removal!  This tissue takes time to heal and it goes through stages of healing:  first, the swelling and bruising, then the overall hardness/firmness of the area, then decrease in swelling but still with lumpiness mixed with softer areas and finally, return to softness and a normal feel.  This process can take many months, sometimes 6 months or more, depending on the agressiveness of the liposuction and the type of liposuction used.  In general, more normal sensation returns with the softness.  Daily self massage can help this process along as well as professional massage.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hello

Feeling hardness and tingling sensation after liposuction is completely normal. Deep tissue massage is good to help break down scar tissue. Your nerves regenerate slowly it takes about a year for it to complete. Swelling takes 6 to 9 months to completely subside.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Firmness and swelling after Liposuction

It is completely normal to experience numbness and firmness in the area of the body where  liposuction was performed.  When undergoing some sort of trauma to the tissue, the body naturally develops scar tissue which the can feel firm and numb to the touch.  Over time (generally 4-6 months), these areas will soften and sensation will return.  Massaging the scar tissue is one way to speed up the healing process.  I have my patients start doing daily massages about 1-2 weeks post op.  If self massaging isn't enough, ultrasound massage treatments may be an option.

Usha Rajagopal, MD