Can I sleep flat on my back now vs at a 45 degree? I had my BA Monday. (photo)

Is it too early or can I sleep on my back flat now? I've been sleeping propped up since my surgery on Monday and it's now day 4.

Can I sleep flat on my back now

The most common reason for being propped up following your surgery to minimize swelling and also of gravity to help keep implants in position. In most cases, one could lie flat at four days postoperative. However, your surgeon may reasons to disagree and you may wish to consult with your surgeon regarding this. He or she will also be able to tell you when you can sleep on your side and ultimately, on your tummy.

Is it too early to sleep on my back flat.

We would think that any position you feel comfortable should be fine after augmentation, however all practices have routines and you should ask your surgeon what his program suggests for your recovery.

Sleep positions after a breast augmentation

Always best to check with your surgeon's protocol. I advise my patients that they don’t have to sleep on their back or sit up all night after breast augmentation surgery. They can sleep any way they want from the night of surgery on, including on their stomach, if they are comfortable enough. They won’t pop or displace their implants by sleeping on them; implants are extremely durable. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping

For my patients who have submuscular implants, I suggest that they sleep somewhat elevated for the first few days. However, when it is comfortable, they may sleep flat on their back. Unless your surgeon has given you a specific number of days to stay elevated during the night, you should be able to sleep flat on your back when you choose.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on the back

Hello and thank you for your question.
Yes, four days post operation sleeping in a recliner or propped up at an angle is no longer necessary if you are not comfortable. I would advise you to wear a compression or sports bra to bed that is not too tight on your chest but will provide support. I would try to wait several more days before you start sleeping on your side and stomach, but you can sleep on your side earlier than that if it is most comfortable. 
As always follow your plastic surgeons post op instructions for a satisfying recovery, only he knows what happened during the surgery and how your recovery plan should continue.
Congratulations on your surgery!

Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD