Sudden pain years after breast augmentation. What should I do?

I received 470cc saline implants under the muscle with areola incisions on 4/18/13. I healed beautifully and unless you are me you can't even tell where I was cut. But 2 weeks ago I started developing chronic pain around the incision site on both breasts. It intensifies when I lay on them or touch the incision site. Is this common and will go away with time or should I call my surgeon?

Doctor Answers 6

Sudden Pain Long After Surgery


It would be difficult to say what could be causing this without a physical exam. You may have an issue with the breast pockets/crease. I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon to let them know about what you are experiencing and advise you.

All the best

Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 176 reviews

Breast augmentation

If there has been a recent significant change to your breasts ( which it sounds like) then you should probably see your surgeon to be evaluated.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Sudden pain years after breast augmentation. What should I do?

Thank you for your question. If any change in your recovery occurs, it is best to let your #BCPS know. He may want to #evaluate you to determine the cause of your #pain and #discomfort. Best wishes!

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Breasts pain

Dear Phira,
 A front and side view pictures would have been helpful.
 The answer to your question is "yes". Call your surgeon and schedule a follow up visit, so he can assess your situation.
    What you describe is very unusual in it's presentation. There is a possibility that you have developed capsule contracture. Your surgeon is the best person to make that diagnosis and take the right measures to help you.
                   Best of luck,
                                            Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Late pain in breasts

 With the history you describe, it appears to me that the pain is what we call "neurogenic" meaning it comes from nerves. It would be rare, in my opinion, to develop late nerve pains simultaneously on both sides. I would recommend you go back and see your operating plastic surgeon for examination. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.