Can You Receive a Breast Augmentation Using the Transumbilical Method if You Have Had a Tummy Tuck in the Past?

I had a tummy tuck almost a year ago with no complications. I am asking this because a new belly button is created for the patient with a full tummy tuck (which I had). Thank you for your time.

Breast Augmentation Options following Tummy tuck

This question would unfortunately require an exam to see if you are a candidate.A Transumbilical breast augmentation, TUBA, can be performed following an abdominoplasty but would be best in someone with significant subcutaneous fat as internal scarring may make the tunneling more difficult. There are other approaches available such as the transaxillary (arm pit) incision which leaves no scars on the breast and would be preferred.

TUBA technically possible after abdominoplasty

TUBA is technically possible after tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery, however this may not be your best choice.  It would be best to obtain a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon to review the best surgical options for your particular situation.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

TUBA after a TT

I would not attempt a TUBA procedure in a patient who has had a previous abdominoplasty.  If you want to consider a BA without a breast incision then consider the transaxillary approach. 

Can You Receive a Breast Augmentation Using the Transumbilical Method if You Have Had a Tummy Tuck in the Past

It is possible provided you are not very thin. The main limitation is that only saline can be used. I used to do about half of by breast augmentations through the navel back in saline only days. But now I use saline for only about 10% of my cases, and I seldom use the TUBA approach. 

I had done some after TT. The worry in slender patients is permanent track marks which to the best of my knowledge I have not seen, but I did discourage all the thin patients from having this approach. After a TT with the scar present, I would be all the more hesitant in a thin woman asking about TUBA. 

I do feel that the choice of implant (saline vs. silicone) dwarfs the importance of choice of incision. All the best. 

Transubilical breast augmentation incision

The short answer is yes it is possible but I do not reccomend the technique. I learned the TUBA procedure from the inventor Dr. Johnson in Houston over ten years ago and have only done it a few times for patients who were 100% sure this is what they wanted. You do not have precise control of the pocket due to the blunt technique and therefore asymmetry of the results is likely to be higher. Also if there is bleeding an incision would be needed on the breast. I have been using the arm pit incision for well over ten years because you insert a camera to do the surgery with a magnified lighted view which makes the pocket dissection very precise and no bleeding. Of course the breast fold incision and areola edge incisions work well with usually fine scars. Good luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

TUBA Breast Augmentation

There are 3 main incisions utilized for breast augmentation surgery: 1) the fold under the breast, 2) the edge of the areola, and 3) the armpit.  TUBA, or breast augmentation thru the umbilicus (belly button) is a bit of a sales gimmick.  Yes, you can physically insert saline implants into the breasts thru a tube from the belly button, but there is very little control of the surgical result.  It is a blunt technique and there is no finesse in pocket creation.  I'm sure you will hear other opinions about this matter, and there are an number of physicians who are strong proponents of "single scar" breast augmentation.  Do a careful review thru out the internet to see who is performing TUBA:  I think you will find the majority are not actually Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, but rather "Cosmetic Surgeons" Board Certified in Gynecology or General surgery.

Transumbilical incision for breast augmentation

It is possible to use a transumbilical approach after a tummy tuck but if you want silicone this approach is not possible.

Trans umbilical breast augmentation is possible after tummy tuck.

This operation is possible after a tummy tuck although I don't think it's a very good choice. The more conventional approaches leave scars that are of no great consideration.

TUBA following tummy tuck

There are very few surgeons who use this method and I don't see any advantages of this technique. Most patients request silicone and this can't be done with this technique. With saline, one can use a very small incision around the areola to place the implant. Usually this heals so well you won't notice it.