Mini-facelift or a non-surgical treatment, which would be best for me? (photos)

What would be the most ideal procedure for giving me a firmer, refreshed look? I would like to reduce/improve the three downward folds on my face. You might have guessed I'm also planning on rhynoplasty. Thank you :)

Facial rejuvenation

Thank you for your question. You appear to have very nice skin, and I doubt you'd be ready for facelifting procedures yet. I think you would get a nice refreshed look by adding some volume to your face (soft tissue fillers, or fat grafting). Yes, the rhinoplasty will also complement these improvements and could likely be done at the same time. Sometimes adding a little fat graft into the chin can give you a subtle augmentation there as well which helps the jaw line look more defined. I'd suggest meeting w/ a plastic surgeon near you. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Scheduling a Facial Rejuvenation Consultation is Your First Step

Hello:In our New York City office we specialize in a procedure called the Micro-Lift as well as rhinoplasty surgery. It is crucial that you research the credentials and accreditation of your facial plastic surgeon. They must be board certified in facial plastic surgery.I do see what you mention about the facial drooping on your face, however, it is difficult to say imperatively whether or not you are a candidate for Micro-Lift or Rhinoplasty. I'm including a video about the details of a Micro-Lift (a facial rejuvenation technique that gives you the look and feel of how refreshed your face looks in a ponytail) and a link to our website so you can read more about your options. Thank you for your question and remember, do you research!Sincerely,Philip J. Miller, MD, FACSDouble Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Mini facelift or fillers ?

Thank you for your question. As always it's very important to seek a consultation from a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine your best options. In viewing your photographs fillers can be a good option to augment the three folds(nasolabial, marionette, and nasojugal)  that you are describing.There  a different types of fillers. Some  of the most popular are going to be your hyaluronic acid fillers;i.e. Restylane and  Juvéderm etc.which typically last a year . These are nonsurgical options .  A mini facelift is also a possibility. However,  since it is surgery there will be more downtime but longer lasting results . In the end you need to decide if you want a surgical or nonsurgical procedure . Certainly at the consultation your options , expectations , recovery , costs will be discussed . A customized treatment plan will be developed for you at this time .

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mini-facelift or a non-surgical treatment, which would be best for me?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is a slight excess of fat in front of the cheeks, jowls are present and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
 I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Mini lift or nonsurgical treatment of folds

Based on the limited photographs alone, I would not recommend a mini lift or any type of facelift procedure. Non-surgical treatments with facial fillers (ex. Juvederm, Restylane) may be a more appropriate option. Lastly, some have considered a chin augmentation to not only improve the lower jawline, but also improving the relative appearance of the nose with rhinoplasty. If you haven't already, then speak with your plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon regarding the chin.Best,Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-Facelift or less invasive approach?

More info would be helpful, like your age, but options include fillers or Mini-Facelift addressing the mid face and jowl regions. Rhinoplasty alone may be all you need, providing a more dramatic effect in your particular case. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD