Concerned! Tummy tuck crease an hole in tummy? (Photos)

I had TT surgery, liposuction,muscle repair 6weeks ago& have a huge crease an hole. I had gastric sleeve surgery 11/2014&was told this was the reason my stomach has a huge crease also I was diabetic from 2007-2014 but not on medication since gastric surgery because of weight loss I'm no longer diabetic. I'm worried about the healing process an the hole healing. I'm covering it with gause. I'm also very swollen. Your opinion would be much appreciated. First pic before dead skin cleaned out Thanks

Post-Op Incision

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

The best thing to do if you are worried about your incisions healing or separating is to see your surgeon right away to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck.

Wound issues

Unfortunately, it looks like you have had some skin and soft tissue loss after your procedure.   You will need to follow very closely with your surgeon to get appropriate wound care. Good luck.

Post tummy tuck and lipo complication

Dear MsTroubled,

Thanks for submitting your pictures and sorry for your trouble. Your situation is the reason that I do not do tummy tuck and liposuction at the same time and especially so on diabetics or post diabetic patients, since their circulation is impaired.

In any event, from observing your pictures, you appear to have partial skin necrosis and fat necrosis in the supra pubic area. Conservative wound care is the best mode of treatment at this stage - clean wounds with hydrogen peroxide and apply Bacitracin ointment and gauze 2-3 times a day.. It will take 3-4 months for the wounds to heal and at them time you may discuss with your surgeon revision surgery. Do not hurry, because it is in your best interest  to let the area quite down, so you will get optimal result.

Always consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons and, most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery , to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.

Dr Widder

Tummy Tuck Surgery

Your wounds are still healing and progressing.  You need to let all of the healing occur and let the scars mature and only then, reassess.  That is the time to consider a touch up surgery if you are then still concerned.

In the mean time the things you can do are stay in close touch with your surgeon as needed to complete your wound healing and post-op care and be strict with your nutrition for intake of lean protein,  and non-starchy fruits and vegetables and avoid starch (potatoes, pasta, rice, grains), and sugar and fats of all kinds, to maximize your healing potential and bring your body mass index down some more. That way if you do need any surgery in the future you can maximize your healing and result.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Right now, good communication with your surgeon, and later possibly a midline revision

I would encourage you to keep an open line of communication with your surgeon as your healing continues. It looks like you had an area of skin necrosis in the lower part of your abdomen. Keeping up the local wound care like you are doing should allow this to eventually heal in.

Regarding the central crease, it may be related simply to excessive swelling that will get better as the swelling goes down, or if there is a large amount of central fatty tissue with skin excess, you may benefit from a midline excision of skin and fat as a revision. This will of course leave a scar in the midline of your abdomen, but it should be much less noticeable than the crease with better contour and shape.

In the meantime, keep up the local wound care and the good communication with your surgeon and you both can assess the outcome better once this area has healed, months down the road.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon