What can I do for my gynecomastia problems?

Reducing Breast Size in Men

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. 
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine your needs to address your concerns. Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Thank you for the question. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Best suggestion is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a complete review of how best to remove your gynecomastia. This is very common problem and can be corrected for a beautiful result. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the question but without photos or an examination it is impossible to make recommendations.  So see some experts in your area and be examined.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Different treatment options for gynecomastia.

Hello and thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is the presence of breast tissue in the male chest. There are different degrees of severity of gynecomastia. Some men have “puffy nipples”, whereas some men have significant excess breast skin and fat that goes underneath the arm and towards the back. Some men have excess breast fat without glandular breast tissue. This is called pseudo-gynecomastia. There are many causes of gynecomastia and pseudo-gynecomastia.

The treatment of gynecomastia and pseud-gynecomastia is relatively similar. The treatment of gynecomastia and pseud-gynecomastia involve the removal of male breast fat and glandular tissue. Often, the male breast fat and glandular tissue can be removed with traditional liposuction or VASER liposuction. VASER liposuction is particularly useful because it melts the thick, glandular tissue. If the male glandular tissue is particularly stubborn and can’t be removed with liposuction, surgical excision may be required. The removal of male breast glandular tissue involves an incision around the areola. Through this incision, male breast glandular tissue is removed.

If there is a significant amount of excess male breast skin involved with gynecomastia, this may require breast skin resection. There are three types of male breast skim resections. The first type involves making incision 360° or completely around the areola. The male breast skin removed is around the areola and is in the shape of a donut. The second type of male breast skin removal involves making an incision in the axilla. The incision extends from armpit and down the side of the chest. In this procedure, an elliptical area of skin and fat is removed. The male breast is pulled laterally (or towards the armpit) and resected. Then, the nipple is repositioned. The most severe form of gynecomastia and pseudo-gynecomastia involves severe, male breast excess skin and fat. The treatment involves an incision placed underneath the male breast and continues towards the back.

Gynecomastia procedures are usually performed under IV sedation or general anesthesia. The procedures are performed as an outpatient. Patients undergoing liposuction for male breast reduction should plan to take off 7 to 10 days from work. When male breast skin removal is required, patient should expect to take off 7 to 14 days from work.

I hope this answers your questions regarding gynecomastia and the treatment of gynecomastia. If you have any more questions regarding gynecomastia or pseudo-gynecomastia, please call my office.

Sincerely Dr. Katzen

Concerned about gynecomastia

Obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in gynecomastia surgery. They will examine you and discuss treatment options with you.