Silicone round smooth options for wide chest? Stats bwd 15.5-16 and height 5 ft 6 in and 145 lbs

Looks like limited sizes to fit the width?

Base Width measurements are important but so is your soft tissue coverage

It is very interesting how much research some patients will do to find just the "Right" implant for their body, but there are many factors that contribute to a beautiful and long-lasting result. The base width is the measurement that your surgeon should use to help start the implant selection process. The amount of soft tissue coverage that you have is important as well. What this means is, are you "skin and bone", or so you have a little body fat at the sides and top of your breasts that will hide any implant associated folds and ripples. Every implant will be visible if oversized and placed under thinner tissues. For some it is a trade-off they are willing to accept if they wish to be larger, for others visible and palpable implants are just not acceptable. My point is, an on-line conversation cannot really tell you what size implant will work for your specific base width....your tissues matter too. There will be a small range of implant styles that will work for each patient. Only a careful consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you select the implant that is right for you.

Sea Girt Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

The best way to pick implant size is based on your breast and chest width and not the volume. As the implants get bigger, they get wider. When the width of the implant fits the width of your chest, it will look nice and fit your frame. If the implants are too small, you will have a gap between them and they may look too far apart. If they are too wide, they will make you look top heavy as they may be too wide and stick well out past the sides of your chest. There are ways to get a bigger or smaller look.This can be done by picking a different implant profile. The higher the profile, the narrower the base width of the implant. If someone has a very narrow chest and wants to be big, they should consider a higher profile implant. If someone has a broad chest and they do not want to be too big but want to avoid the gap and still have cleavage without projection, they should consider a lower profile implant such as a moderate. There are options in between these such as the moderate plus. I prefer the underarm approach so there is no scar on your breast. The new silicone is the only way to go as far a rippling as the new silicone ripples much less than saline, especially in the larger implants. I personally prefer the smooth round implants under the muscle placed through the under arm to give you the most natural look and feel. This also leaves no scar on your breast.
Dr Scott Ennis   

Breast implant options for a wide chest

The breast "base width diameter" you've indicated is a measurement which helps guide plastic surgeons toward the maximum width implant one should consider for an augmentation procedure, not the minimum.  There are a wide number of saline and silicone implants which would suit your measurements.  We use an implant simulator system in our office for our patients to physically see how well a given side/width looks on their chest.  Most board certified plastic surgeons use this or some similar method.  A consultation should make you feel much more positive about your options (and proceeding!)

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Sizing Options

The best way to determine implants that will fit you well and appear proportionate for your frame is to have an in-person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Your breast width measurements, your existing tissues and anatomy, your desired look and your surgeon's recommendations will come into play. My patients find it helpful to try on implant sizers with a form fitting T-Shirt in the office in order to get an idea of how they will look.

All the best 

Breast Implant Size

There is no perfect way to pick an implant for a woman's body. I believe that it depends on your goals and how big you want to be. With your base width, you can fit almost all implants. Your plastic surgeon should have a way to help you choose which implant is right for you as you move forward with surgery. In our office we do 3D breast imaging to show you what different sizes might look like on you. We also have sizers which are inserts that fit into your bra that you can try on at your pre-op appointment to make your final decision. If you want to see live breast augmentations, follow us on snapchat @drgrawe. Best wishes!

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question.  There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to diameter of breast implant versus diameter of breast (band width). In other words, these measurements are useful but are only one of the many factors come into play when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Implant measurements

Implant selection is a nuanced technique and there are a variety of factors that each plastic surgeon considers for each patient.  Don't be surprised if you get slightly different recommendations from different doctors.  Thus, determining which implant is right for you requires an in-person consultation.  In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast augmentation

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination and take accurate measurements so they can recommend the best implant type/sizes for your body. There are 3D simulators that can show you what you would look like with different types of implants and different sizes, this can be helpful when trying to decide what size would achieve your cosmetic goals. At my office, I use high profile Sientra implants to create a round full result that looks natural, giving you the result that you want. Additionally, i use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Wide Chest

I'm not so sure I understand when you say BWD 15/5 - 16.  How was this measured?  When one considers the base width, it must be measured with a caliper and not around the breast.  In addition,  the thickness of your breast has to be subtracted from the measured base width.  Unless you take these two criteria into consideration, you will have an inaccurate base width. 

That having been said,  you would need a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can accurately measure your breast and recommend the ideal implant.