Can you share Restylane injections?

I got lip fillers today. I was injected with restaylne after she was done I asked her if she was saving the rest of the product for me and she stated no she will use it on someone else because the needle she uses doesn't draw back. Is this standard practice or is it illegal to do and should I be worried?

Syringes are not to be shared

One last suggestion.  Please contact the injector and confirm that the syringe used on you was a new syringe and not a used one.  I can't even begin to understand what an injector is thinking using a remaining syringe of filler on another patient.    

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Dermatology, Laser and Vein Specialists 
Charlotte, NC

Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

No, Syringes should never be shared

This is a big red flag that should make you more aware when choosing a doctor. Ideally, your doctor should draw back when injecting to be sure not in vessel. That being said, it is hard to draw back when using thicker filler and I don't think that everyone practices this technique at all times. However, there is always a chance for filler in syringe to be contaminated and I would never use same syringe from patient to patient. The outside of the syringe can even be contaminated. Dermatologists that are experienced injectors often split syringes BEFORE THEY TOUCH THE PATIENT in order to transfer product to syringe with smaller needles. They can then use a half syringe on each patient that is sterile and untouched. Please do not go back to this person again. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Sharing injections

Thanks for your question. That is a big NO! Injections are not intended to be shared between individuals! Please do your research beforehand and find a board certified plastic surgeon and/or certified nurse injector specialist.

German Newall, MD

Restylane Sharing? NO

Thank you for your question. Absolutely NOT! Dermal fillers are only for use by one patient. This sounds very shady and think you should reconsider your choice of injectors. I would recommend receiving your injections from a board certified plastic surgeon only.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Restylane and Shared injections

You should never share the injections with someone else.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise with these facial injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD