Would it be too risky to get another chin implant after removing one after 14 yrs that gave me nerve damage?

I had it removed 8 yrs ago due to excessive pain, after removing it I was told my teeth would have fell out due to bone recession from implant. I do have discomfort from the removal but more toward my incision and neck bands (he also did my neck area when removing implant) my question is my upper face is way too big for no chin, what's your thoughts of getting a new implant put in? I know I suffered with the old one, is there any chance the new one would be a good idea?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  However, in your particular situation it would seem more reasonable to have a chin augmentation using a dermal filler.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant

Without seeing pictures (both before when you had your chin implant present as well as once it was taken out) it is hard to make the assessment of what would really help.  That being said, chin implants have changed dramatically both in composition and the rate of bony resorption that may occur in the last 10+ years.  A correctly placed chin implant, even with resorption, would not affect the dental stalk where the teeth bud.  Placing an implant back in is something that can easily be done under local anesthesia - but, like I said, without having any pictures it is hard for me to give you any more meaningful advice.  When in doubt, it is always best to see someone in consultation to get a better idea of what would be best for you.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon