What do I do now? Post necklift; doctor removed too much fat? (Photos)

I had a neck lift 2 1/2 years ago. Dr admitted that he removed too much fat from the neck. I did not get the profile that I had been promised. A second surgery 9 months later to correct the profile, didnt work.I feel like I'm wearing a surgical mask around my ears and neck. It's very tight, but the loose skin, profile is unacceptable. I am upset with the results. I do not like the look of facelifts. I'm not looking to be 20 again (I'm 52), but I was hoping for a better result. Suggestions?

Revision necklift

Based on the photos, I do agree with the other surgeons that a formal consultation would be required to give you any clear direction.  However it does seem that you will need a revision neck lift that includes better treatment of the deep layer of the neck which means removal of additional deep or subplatysmal fat in the neck along with reducing the size of the submandibular glands and digastric muscles.  This can be done through an incision under the chin.  For optimal results you may need some skin removed from behind the ears as well but the work done through the incision under the chin is the key component of treating this problem

Revision neck lift

In looking at your photos there are several things that can be done. 1) excision of the excess skin. This will not be perfect but will help with some of the crepy skin. Additionally a small chin implant will help stretch out some of the neck skin and improve your jawline

2) excision of the remaining fat and/or submandibular glands. This would get rid of some of the bulk that you have under your chin

3) Retightening of the platysma. By creating a sling under your chin with the muscle, it will help keep your neck tight.

Aric K. Park, MD

Revision is required

Hi

Very sorry that your results were not ideal. I agree with most of the physician sentiments here. You would need an exam in person to be certain but I believe that you have:

1. Possible over resection of the deep (sub-platysmal fat)

2. Uneven somewhat poor re-draped sub-mental skin

3. Possible enlarged salivary glands or digastric muscles

I have treated these defects and find that a "re-do" is required that addresses the whole lower face. The best technique in my hands is a deep place facelift that releases all of the retaining ligaments of the lower face and neck exploration to reset the muscle and other excess structures. This can help create the desire sharp profile. 

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat loose skin

After reviewing the  pictures is my impression that you need a surgical revision of your neck.  We need to evaluate if the layer of fat is even in your neck and if there is no adhesions on the skin with the platysma muscle in ether event that has to be corrected surgically

Complicated answer

I would really need to do an exam to see what the problem exactly is. It may not be a case of too much fat removal. Some of your swelling might be due to large salivary glands. It's best to see a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in dealing with facelifts and large salivary glands.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post operative laxity

This is a difficult problem to treat. 

One would need to # 1 examine your neck to determine if this is platysma muscle excess and laxity or solely skin. The former will require a platysmaplasty ( small incision under the chin with suturing and possible removal of some of the muscle). The latter would only require a revision neck lift with possibly small amounts of fat transfer. 

It is key for to either return to your previous surgeon or get the operative report for the next surgeon. This will let us know what was done during the prior two operations so that you have a realistic expectation of what results can be obtained.

Best of luck

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift, facelift, facelift!

You have an excess of skin and fat in the neck area.  The problem was not that too much fat was taken but that you had too much skin for simple defatting to correct in the first place.  Get the facelift if you want to have that area look improved.  That is exactly what it is designed for.  

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon