Could Restylane Truly Help Lower Eyelids with Tear Troughs and Excess Dynamic Lateral Rolls?

Worried a lower traditional bleph will diminish eye size, for being in late 40s, I would likely need a canthopexy. Also, I've read that excess skin removal is limited with a transconjuntival. Could a precise combo of Botox, Restylane, and a filler (e.g., Radiesse, Juverderm for mid volumizing) at least improve lower lid area? I wish to maintain facial fat and have also some lower face sagging Past TCA eye peel and even minor attempt with laser caused hyperpigmentation, so that is not for me!

Doctor Answers 6

Fillers for the lower eyelid area instead of a lower blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 In my opinion, lower blepharoplasty is more of a secondary choice. The process of aging really entails a volume loss especially at the junction between your lower eyelids and cheek. This is often referred to as the double contour deformity. Fillers are a great way to fill in this junction and really improve the look in your lower eyelid and eye area.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Could Restylane Truly Help Lower Eyelids with Tear Troughs and Excess Dynamic Lateral Rolls?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You ask very good questions, but unfortunately they can only be answered by seeing you in person.  I suggest you see an oculoplastic surgeon in consultation.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A photo is necessary to assess your specific needs.  Fillers such as Restylane can help fill up hollow dark circles around the eyes.  Botox/dysport can help with dynamic wrinkles of the eyelids.  Excess skin may have to be surgically removed (skin pinch technique).  And etc.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Lower Eyelids and Restylane or Surgery or Botox or a combonation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As mentioned, it is impossible to say without seeing you.  The lower eyelids are quite complex.

But, if you are in your 40's, I sincerely doubt skin removal will do anything good for you.  Skin removal puts you at risk of rounding and/or ectropion and probably will produce no benefit even if you don't have any complications.

I would speculate that surgical fat re-positioning would produce the best results based on your description.  Also a tear-trough implant combined with fat re-positioning is often very successful if you have deeper tear-troughs and/or upper midface volume deficiency.

Botox/Dysport would be the only solution if you have a muscular bulge that forms with smiling/squinting.

Restylane would be the best choice for non-surgical filling of the tear-troughs.  This is limited so if your tear-troughs are anything more than mild, it won't really have much of a chance.

It is too bad that your skin hyperpigments with laser and chemical peels.  This is really the only treatment that improves the skin itself.  All of the other treatments affect the shape of the lower lid, but the skin. . . the fabric of your eyelid. . . won't be improved.  Of course Retin-A, proper hydration, and avoidance of UV light will help skin quality to some extent.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Lower lids and Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very difficult to determine what treatment(s) will be best for your lower lid rejuvenation without seeing you in person. Consulting with a reputable and well established plastic surgeon will likely provide you with specific options - including limitations and expectations from all proposed surgical procedures as well as dermal filler and neurotoxin options best suited for you. 

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

Could Restylane Truly Help Lower Eyelids with Tear Troughs and Excess Dynamic Lateral Rolls?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without a photo provided its difficult to determine the best option for you, I would recommend a thorough consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what may be best for your aesthetic desires.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.