I had a facelift in March. I was under anesthesia for 5 hours. 3 months later my hair started thinning. Will it grow back?

I don't have alot of hair to begin with Will it grow back to normal? I am taking viviscal and 10,000 mcg of biotin. It's very depressing also the texture has changed to cotton candy

Hair Loss After Facelift

Hair is sensitive in some individuals to outside forces such as surgery, infection, stress, and other causes. It is temporary in the vast majority of cases.

In the rare patient hair can temporarily thin out after surgery.

Rarely a patient will complain of thinning of the hair after a major operation such as a facelift. This is very unusual and fortunately is temporary.

Hair thinning after face lift

Thank you for your question about your face lift.

• Hair can shed from the stress of surgery. It will regrow.
  • Hair can also thin from tension on the scalp if you had a brow lift. This may be permanent.
  • Hair can also change because of unrelated hormonal changes.
  • I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon as to the likely cause, and the best treatment.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Hair loss after Facelift

I assume that you are experiencing diffuse hair loss that is unrelated to your surgical incisions. This type of hair loss (telogen effluvium) is believed to be caused by sudden stress or a traumatic event such as surgery or general anesthesia.  It occurs when a large number of growing hair follicles suddenly enter into a resting phase.  It usually lasts less than 6 months and normal hair density is restored within one year.  Longer lasting hair loss usually implies another cause such as dietary deficiency, low thyroid, medication effect, or chronic stress. Diffuse hair loss after surgery is fortunately a rare event. Topical minoxidil (Rogaine) may help to speed recovery. 

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss and facelift

While hair loss after anesthesia is rare it does occur on occasion. It is usually temporary however and some times its due to stress. I recommend consulting with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairloss after Facelift

In my experience, hair loss after a facelift has been very uncommon.  I would suggests making an appointment with your surgeon or his/her clinical staff and share your concerns.  Since they performed your facelift surgery, they are your best option as a next step.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss 3 Months after Facelift

Hair loss after facelift is uncommon. I have encountered it twice over the last decade as transient stress-related hair loss. The onset was earlier (over the first few weeks) and it started returning to normal after 2-3 months. It may be worthwhile investigating a different underlying condition for you. Seek expert opinion from a dermatologist who treats this condition frequently.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after surgery is temporary

In a small percentage of patients there is hairless after surgery.  This tends to be temporary and represents shedding of existing hair, not a loss of hair follicles so over time new hair will grow back.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thinner hair after anesthesia

what you are describing is known to happen to a small percentage of patients. It is time limited and the hair does return in time, albeit slowly. You can also add Rogaine to the scalp as I have found that helps speed the recovery along a bit

Julio Garcia, MD