My Dr. Is going to use 2 of the small applicators flanking my belly button?

I am 4'9 and around 95 lbs with a belly that need's to be gone! Why would a Dr. Use 2 small applicators rather than the 1large applicator on my belly?

Two small applicators for abdomen rather than one large applicator

Sometimes two small applicators rather than one large applicator fit better for certain people when performing CoolSculpting on the abdomen.  Some people may have a difference between sides, where two applicators would work better than one large one.  Also, in some people who are fairly small, the large applicator is too wide to fit the person adequately.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
The smaller applicators sometimes fit better around this area to sculpt 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting of the abdomen and two small applicators

There are many patients who benefit from having the two smaller applicators utilized for coolsculpting rather than the one large applicator.  The price to the patient is the same. In some patients, the two small applicators will work better and reduce the bulge more effectively.  Please consult a board certified dermatolgist with a great deal of experience with coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

Small versus large Coolsculpting applicators

The choice of applicators is usually customized to the individual.  You may find that visiting different providers that you get different recommendations.  I would make sure that the applicators are placed in the areas that you have concerns.  I have recommended both options depending on the individual.

My Dr is going to use 2 of the small applicators flanking my belly button?

Thank you for your question. The type and location of applicator is determined by the areas of fat. Typically the medical professional will assess the areas of fat and choose the applicator that best fits and provides the most fat loss. 

Sincerely yours, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

It's all about the fit

Thank you for your question. There are a number of different applicators for the Coolsculpting machine.  This is because the applicator needs to fit perfectly to the area being treated.  You are small, and the large applicator may not fit your area of treatment. Positioning the smaller applicators at different angles could contribute to better conturing. I hope this was helpful.

Which applicators to use

Go in front of the mirror  and start to pinch your abdomen fat in different directions... you will find that sometimes 2 small pinches will give you a better treatment than one large one.  Also, a lot of people do not have fat in the midline under their belly button and it would be a waste to use the large applicator that focuses the most cold in the middle (where there is already less fat).

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting applicators

Coolsculpting is personalized to each patient. Sometimes two applicators are better than one. This is not unusual. In fact the company advocates for this approach now in many patients.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Planning of the Coolsculpting Procedure

The applicator need to fit correctly your particular anatomy and areas of unwanted fat. This is why the assessment and treatment planning are so important. Using 2 smaller applicators may just be best for you.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large vs Small CoolSculpting Applicators

The large CoolSculpting applicators are used for debulking, whereas the smaller applicators are used for sculpting. In someone with your height and weight there is no way that the large applicator would fit on you. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon