What's the difference between dermabrasion and phenol croton oil peel?

Dermabrasion

Thank you for your question. Microdermabrasion is a non-surgical, exfoliating treatment helpful for those unhappy with acne scarring, sun-damaged skin, age spots, freckles, fine lines, scars and rough skin. I suggest you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion expert in Los Angeles

These are very different treatments for different skin conditions. I would suggest seeing a plastic surgeon to discuss the best option for your facial skin. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Thanks for your query. Dermabrasion is a surgical procedure in which there is microneedling of the skin using dermaroller which causes resurfacing of skin whereas phenol peel is a deep peel which causes which causes the skin to visibly exfoliateand helps in pigmentation and fine lines. Hope it helps.All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

DA vs Peel

Dermabrasion is physical "sanding" or "grinding" the outer layers of skin away. This is usually done with a high-speed revolving wire brush or diamond fraize (like a grindstone). The procedure is quite bloody and requires ample experience by the physician performing the procedure. Phenol peels are the deepest of all chemical peels and, like all chemical peels, put the patient and physician at the mercy of the chemical, as the destruction caused by the peel will continue until the chemical is used up or until the reaction is stopped, which is not always easy. Phenol peels require cardiac monitoring during the procedure and can cause damage to certain internal organs. A common side effect of both DA and phenol peel is hypo-pigmentation (lightening skin color). Both require that the physician have considerable experience.

I highly recommend finding an physician HIGHLY experienced with fractional CO2 laser resurfacing. It is much safer, can get better results and is more predictable. I suggest Dr. Roy Geronemus in NYC.                     jlr

John Louis Ratz, MD
Clermont Dermatologist