Am I balding or suffering from Telogen Effluvium? (photos)

I'm pretty nervous about my hair right now as it is very thin to the point you can easily see my scalp. I don't believe my hairline has receeded but my hair is overall very thin. I started to notice my hair thinning around April and it got pretty bad by late May and June. I'm usually stressed out and nutrient deficiency is largely a factor for my personal health. Do I know if I have Telogen Effluvium or am I simply balding? For either case would you reccomend I use minoxidil. Thank you!

You need an examination for a better understanding of why you are losing hair. The Internet will only give you generalizations.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Probable cause for your hair loss

It appears to be androgenic alopecia. Just to make sure that is the case you need to get a one on one consultation in order to determine the cause of your hair loss.If the problem is androgenic alopecia you can slow down your hair loss rate by taking  5% Minoxidil, laser therapy, Propecia or PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma).Best of lucks!

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

Telogen effluvium or genetic hair loss

To make this diagnosis, you need to see a doctor who will perform a series of tests on you including a pull test, miniaturization analysis and possibly a HAIR CHECK. Then you will know the answer. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What is my diagnosis?

There is really only one way to figure out if this is a telogen effluvium- and that is with a careful review of your health and history of hair loss PLUS and up close examination AND a review of your blood tests.There is simply no other way around it. You certainly have male patterned androgenetic alopecia as one of your diagnoses. Thr key question is whether a second (or third) condition is also present.