I'm 19 and I'd like liposculpture. Is it a bad idea?

i would like to get a liposcuplture with fat transfer. i gained 20 pounds in 1 year. i don't have kids but plan to in the future. I want to make sure if i do its the right thing to get back on the right track. i have school and work everyday so its hard for me to exercise. alot of people say its a waste of money.

It might be a great idea. In my experience, I have found patients with higher BMI (body mass index) to have higher satisfaction than slimmer patents. Also, doing liposculpture on patients with more body fat allows the surgeon to have more freedom in really changing the shape of their body. Lastly, if you are interested in fat transfer, this may be the perfect time to do the procedure.  

More than anything else, please make an appointment with a plastic surgeon so that you can be individually evaluated as to what may or may not work for you.

We specialize almost entirely in doing body sculpting using laser lipo, Smart lipo, VASER and fat grafting to the breast, buttocks (Brazilian butt lift) or the face. All of these are done as awake procedures. No needles, no scalpels and no stitches. These procedures require only a little sedation, are fast, easy, safe and have fast and easy recoveries. 

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction at 19 y.o.?

Good question.  It's not the age as much as the weight gain.  liposuction or liposculpture is not a good treatment for weight gain.  Being 19 y.o is no real issue.  I tell my patients that they should be within 10% of there goal weight when having liposculpture.  It's best to be at or near you ideal body weight to achieve the ideal body shape with liposculpture!

To archive the results you are looking , the positive thing about liposculture is that it reshapes your body, without the need of diet or exercises, its a faster and more effective way of removing the fat, and contructing the best shape for your body. 

Always is good to find a Board Certified plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon. 

Dr. Gustavo Almanzar

Gustavo Almanzar, MD

Liposculpture is an excellent operation.  If you maintain good habits you will have lasting results.  If however you have bad eating habits it will have a negative effect on the outcome.  It is certainly not a waste of money.  Having kids in the future should not prevent you from having liposuction now.

Liposculpture has the potential to reshape the body in a way that diet and exercise cannot.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Liposculpture is good for body contouring

Liposculpture is not a waste of money if one has realistic expectations about what it can accomplish. It is not meant to be a weight loss procedure by any means, and is meant to help sculpt areas that sometimes are stubborn to exercise and weight loss in someone who is within their ideal body weight.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Is liposculpture a bad idea?

Only an in person exam can decide if you are indeed a candidate for liposuction.  However, most doctors would want you to be at a stable weight.  Liposuction is not a 'fix all' and you will likely be unhappy after paying money for a procedure only to gain more weight.  My advice would be to see a nutritionist moreover than a plastic surgeon at this point in your life.  

Take care and best wishes.

Shayne Webb, MD

Liposculpture | Liposuction | Liposhaping

Thank you for your question. Pictures would be helpful.

Without photos and an in person consultation, most answers you get will be speculative in nature.

To be sure what might be right for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Liposuction and fitness

Thank you for your question.  Your dilemma is common.  Unfortunately, you will likely hear the same response from multiple plastic surgeons.  Liposuction should not be viewed as weight loss procedure rather as a contouring procedure for areas that are resistant to exercise and fitness.  Liposuction can produce very predictable and favorable results when performed at the right time.  Adjust your schedule to allow for health and fitness.  Once your weight is stable, consider liposuction if you have "trouble" areas that are resistant to your efforts.  In the end, you will have more satisfaction and longevity to your result.

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon