What if It is Only One Nipple?

I have gynocomastia in only one nipple and I've had it for a long time and it won't go away.

One-Sided Gynecomastia

Although less common, one-sided gynecomastia can occur. The remedy for it is the same as if it were bilateral: gynecomastia correction surgery. Here at The Plastic Surgery Clinic we perform approximately 100 gynecomastia correction procedures per year using a new technique (that I pioneered) that utilizes Power Assisted Liposuction which avoids scarring around the nipple. It is important to speak with a qualified surgeon to discuss your surgical options.

What if It is Only One #Nipple?

You need to be assessed by a surgeon as the treatment for #gynecomastia is ultimately with surgery. 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia & Asymmetrical Nipples

#Unilateral gynecomastia occurs when only one breast is larger due to gynecomastia, while the other breast is typically normal in both size and shape. #Bilateral asymmetry occurs when gynecomastia is present in both breasts, although each to a different degree. The amount of glandular tissue can affect the size, shape, and location on the chest wall of the enlarged area, the size of the areolas, and protrusion and diameter of the nipples.

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.
"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the #areola often shrinks when #gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola #symmetry may improve.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.

Unilateral Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you visit with a well experienced plastic surgeon to discuss your situation and see what recommendations will be made after a physical examination. Best wishes.

Unilateral Gynecomaastia

Unilateral gynecomastia is less common that gynecomastia that affects both breast, however, it in not rare.  Although, breast cancer is much more rare in men than women, it can't be ruled out.  I would suggest you have the breast tissue that is bothering you removed and examined by a pathologist.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral gynecomastia

Gynecomastia in one breast is uncommon but can occur.  My recommendation would be for you to be worked up.  This might involve an endocrinologic consultation, a mammogram and potentially a biopsy to rule out breast cancer.  If you have been on thyroid or hormonal medication, this could induce development of gynecomastia as well.  Definitely get worked up as soon as possible.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Unilateral Gynecomastia is not uncommon.

Unilateral can be found in about 5-7% of all the gynecomastia cases .Usually it is more troublesome because it more obvious then bilateral gynecomastia.  The incidence of cancer is extremely rare in man and slightly increases with age(over 50 ).Ethiology varie.You should see a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in gynecomastia surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Unilateral Gynecomastia Needs Attention

Although it can occur, unilateral gynecomastia is unusual.  Male breast cancer is also unusual but can occur and tends to be very aggressive.  You definitely should see a plastic or general surgeon for further evaluation.

John Whitt, MD (retired)