What can I do when my nipple graph has pulled away by half? I'm 3 1/2 wks. post BR. Cut it with scissors or pull it all the way?

One of my nipple graphs has pulled away on the top portion, what do I do? Pull it off like a scab the rest of the way? So that it doesn't get torn off by mistake? I know the Dr. said this would happen but I don't know what to do with it. I just placed the gauze back over it to smash it back down after my shower. I go for my next appt. on Friday but need help now.

Nipple graft falling off, what to do?

Hi Lisa,Thanks for your question. Some photos would help. What you did is exactly what I would have told my patient over the phone. Never cut it off or pull it off. More than likely at 3.5 weeks, the skin had stuck to the underlying tissue and the top layer just falls off which is TOTALLY normal but scary. Hopefully your plastic surgeon was able to take care of your issue sooner. Good Luck and let us know how things are going.    All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #nipplegraft #woundissues Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Nipple graft

Boy I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament, and I know that's scary, but don't trim anything or pull on anything leave that type of action to your Plastic Surgeon. Consider steristrips or at least a Band-Aid to hold things down till the office can see you on Friday. You might accidentally make matters worse not better. Be sure to touch base with that office so they know what's up and what your concerns are for they may be able to fit you in earlier. Best of luck.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon