3.5 week post op, one of my nipple has folded after Gynecomastia surgery, what can I do to help it unfold? (photos)

Hello, I had gynecomastia surgery on Mar 20th, and had the steri strips removed on Apr 11th. My one nipple looks great, but as you can see by photos, my other nipple seems to have folded. When I stretch the top and bottom of my nipple, it unfolds a bit. I didnt see the PS on Apr 11th, I saw his assistant and she said that will heal in time. What am I supposed to do? It seems like it's not going to heal properly. Should I try stretch my nipple out with steri strips? I am worried, pls help.

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.  Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple areola issues

Thank you very pictures. I agree with your plastic surgeon's assistant. I would give it time to heal. Typically three months. Definitely see your plastic surgeon discuss what he or she thinks happened and needs to be done.

Good luck.

Ear Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

3.5 week post op, one of my nipple has folded after Gynecomastia surgery, what can I do to help it unfold?

Two things: See the operative surgeon IN PERSON. Allow 3 months healing with massages to area.. ////

Swelling

It looks like you more than likely have residual swelling whcih can take several months to heal. Good luck.

Nipple folding

it could be because of underlying swelling being uneven.
just press and see if you have a hard lump underneath

Charanjeev Sobti, MBBS
India Plastic Surgeon