Can this melasma be treated? (photos)

How long will ut tk to go?

Simple solutions for difficult melasma

I would use a combination of Clear and Brilliant Laser, Melarase creams in the Kare Skin Brightening Kit, and light chemical peels. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Melasma requires multiple treatment methods.

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist