How to avoid a being burnt with a 25% TCA peel on a black skin?

I am black and am planning on doing a 25% tca peel on my face at home. And I don't want to get burnt. What are the things you would advice I do. And I can't afford to go to a dermatologist, I have sunburns, acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my face...please help

Do not do a TCA peel at home and do not use TCA 25% on dark skin for risk of hypo or hyperpigmentation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treatments for darker skin types

Thank you for your question kimmy00. Chemical peels work well for facial rejuvenation. They should be applied by a medical professional. Many financing opportunities exist for those with limited budgets. Typically chemical peels as strong as 25% TCA are not used on darker skin types due to risks such as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). For my patients with dark skin types I recommend using topical products such as hydroquinone, kojic acid, retinoic acid, arbutin, licorice extract, niacinamide, hydroxyl acids, and vitamins C and E for one to two months prior to a treatment to minimize the risk for PIH. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician