Mommy makeover. So excited, but do I really need a breast lift? (Photo)

I am considering a mommy makeover. Do i need a lift though ?? Hoping for just implants. I chose 255cc as I don't want huge breasts. I did speak with my plastic surgeon who advised a full lift. I just don't want to hate the scars more than I hate my saggy deflated breasts !! I'm also have a mini tummy tuck with muscle repair...above belly button as well bc i have a hernia scar where he can gain access. He will also perform liposuction to my stomach, flanks, and arm pit area. Advice ??

Dr. Derby Sang Caputo

Thank you for your question and your photo.

Based on the size you want the implants it is considered best to have a lift for a more contoured and better look.

Best of luck

Is a lift necessary?

Thank you for your questions.  Based on the size of implant you are considering, you will likely need some form of a lift in order to achieve a good result.  You could consider different implant shapes to help give you maximum shape with a more minimal lift.  The most conclusive opinion will be given after an in person evaluation.  Your surgeon will be able to give you a more informed decision based on the exam and your surgical goals.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy Makeover

There are pros and cons of breast augments only and a a mastopexy and implant as a one stage procedure. The decision will be based on the volume you wish to achieve. There are also different ways to perform a mastopexy / lift. You need to be taken through the pros and cons by an experienced PS who can show you examples of each and allow you to be empowered to make the decision.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Do you need a Breast lift?

Far more important than deciding if MM is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Can I avoid a breast lift and just get implants?

Judging from the pictures of your breasts, it appears that you have significant sagging ( ptosis) of your breast gland. If you elect to only have breast implants and not a breast lift,  it is likely that your implant will sit higher than your natural breast.  Some surgeons attempt to correct this by excising skin around the nipple/areolar ( a donut mastopexy); however, this runs the risk of a post operative wide scar as well as widening of the areolar.  The most certain result for you would be obtained by having a breast lift repositioning your breast gland to the correct position together with an implant.    Make certain you discuss your expectations with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Carlin Vickery, MD

Mommy Makeover and a Breast Lift

Thank you very much for your question and your photographs. From your pictures, it does appear that you will make a good candidate for the Mommy Makeover procedure. You may find satisfying results from a breast augmentation, hernia repair, and liposuction, without opting for the breast lift. It is important to remember, however, that breast implants alone can provide volume for your deflated breasts but will not improve the lax, sagging tissue. My recommendation is that you further discuss your options with your surgeon. If you are not happy with his/her suggestions, schedule a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon, for a second opinion.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Mommy makeover. So excited, but do I really need a breast lift?

A shorter scar variant of the breast lift may be suitable as well based upon the pictures.

Thank you for the question and photos.

Although definitive advice would require in-person evaluation, I think that it is likely that you will benefit from breast lifting as well as breast augmentation surgery.   I would be concerned that you will not be pleased with the long-term outcome achieved with breast augmentation surgery only. 

Of course, breast augmentation/lifting surgery is a more complicated procedure (and more complication prone);  careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals will be key.  Furthermore, you will need to carefully consider the trade-offs (such as additional scarring) associated with breast lifting versus the upsides briefly discussed above.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with will a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Only after doing so can you make an informed decision whether or not to proceed. You will find a lot of information on this website and on the attached link. Best wishes.

Do I really need a breast lift?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and pictures.

Accorind with your pictures you will be an excellent candidate for breast lift,  This because you have more extra skin that the size of prosthesis that you want, so the BL would be ideal for your body.

Anyway you should talk to your surgeon certified plastic so they are on the same page with respect to the results you want to obtain.

Hope hear from you soon, best wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your pictures and question. I feel that you will be very happy with breast augmentation but the implant size you have chosen will not correct your ptosis. A breast lift will help improve your cosmetic result and it is best that you discuss your options with your surgeon. Good luck with your surgery!

Mark Deutsch, MD