I am considering a butt augmentation?

So far from the information I've gathered I leading to the implants. I understand infection risk is higher but I don't want to risk losing volume by doing the BBL. What is the recovery time for implants? How soon can a patient sit normally?

Buttock Augmentation Recovery Time

Buttock implants take 3 weeks for the patient to recover. 

Under the doctors care, possibilities of an infection are too low. You have to visit your doctor for cleaning the area every 2 days, and follow your doctors recommendations. 

The real scoop on buttock implants

Congratulations, sounds like you have done your research well. However, i would argue that the infection rate is NOT higher with implants compared to BBL. Please read on for more details: 

In short, a combination of sculpting your waistline with liposuction and augmenting your buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:

Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international,  per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants). 
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection and long-term results. 
Indeed because at least 80+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Even those patients that had adequate amounts of fat pre-operatively, still end up seeking buttock implants after a year or so because most of the fat transferred melted away leaving them with minimal result.

Although overall using your own fat is relatively safe, it not infrequently melts away unevenly leaving one butt cheek bigger than the other or with dimpling or hard fat cysts.  The one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high infection rate, guaranteed tendency to migrate away from the original area they were injected, and almost always stimulate a lot of inflammation with a subsequent and disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock/hip augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within (muscle thickness permitting) the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is much less palpable & visible (ie feeling and looking like an Olympic sprinter's butt), and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle or "subfascial". On the other hand, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Because all of this, it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure so that the implant placement is precise for both locations. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to

Ryan Stanton, MD

Butt implants

Dear GimmeRound,

Congratulation on your decision to have butt implants, as oppose to BBL (fat injection) , which is a total waste of your money and time. The fat disappears completely or almost completely after few months or even sooner, as I have seen on many patients who came to my surgery center for butt implant surgery after their big and costly disappointment from the BBL procedure that was done by other surgeons. 

The risks of butt implants surgery are comparable to any surgery (low) as long as the procedure is done by an expert surgeon and the patient is following  strictly the post operative instructions.

As far as sitting, my patients are allowed to sit right after surgery, but they have to lean forward in order to avoid pressure on the incision between the butt cheeks. If you check yourself, you will notice that you are sitting on your thighs and your Ischial bones. At bed time , you have to sleep on your stomach or sides for 1 month, again to protect the wound. Also, my patients are wearing a protective Velcro binder 24/7 for one month.

The recovery time, in regard to sex, gym activity, heavy lifting and other strenuous activity is 6 weeks. This helps avoiding breakdown of wound, infection and bleeding. As the expression goes - An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure...

You have to realize, though, that not all results are the same, because ther are different techniques and different implants. Additionally, experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence and choose your surgeon wisely , to avoid bad result and need for redo surgery.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of butt implants surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice 'S' curve, nice hips curve , nice projection and looking natural . Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.

Dr Widder

Buttock implants

Buttock implants definitely insures the volume  that is implanted.  It is definitely more painful than fat injection. I prefer patients do not sit on their buttocks for at least 3 full weeks and then only for a few minutes at a time after that for several more weeks.

Buttocks implant

We have been performing buttocks implant augmentation for over 10 years, and have not observed any serious complications requiring removal of implants from sitting; I ask our patients to avoid sitting directly on their buttocks for at least two weeks. With proper placement of the implant in the muscle and our 4 layer closure of the incision line, patients are able to fly within one week of surgery; you just have to be shown how to sit without putting pressure on your implant.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

I am considering a butt augmentation?

I will tell you with 25 years experience that implants will not give you a natural look and are up to 60% rejected from the body. Your own fat will be not rejected and give you that natural look and you will not loose the fat after your 6 months procedure.  A Brazilian butt lift is a safe and effective procedure that combines liposuction of the abdomen hips waist and back and then fat grafting to the gluteal region. This is a safe and effective way to contour the lower body. After a successful Brazilian Butt lift, the fat that remains will stay there for the rest of your life. Like the rest of the tissue in your body this fat will grow and age with you. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.