My eyes are inflamed, red, swollen. Is this normal? (Photo)

Two days postop. My eyelids above and below sutures are very red, inflamed, and sore. There is pain and irritation which is worsening. I keep reading that pain should be minimal. I'm concerned I'm having an allergic reaction to something.

Post upper lid bleph

This can be a normal appearance for some people at 2 days post-op.  It will improve!  If you notice more itching and redness when you apply the ointment, you may be allergic to it.  Infection is very unusual in upper lid surgery and would not be apparent at 2 days.  

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Two days postop

It is normal to have swelling and bruising - often worse a day or two after surgery, and often wrapping down into the lower lids. The third day, the swelling and bruising should begin to resolve. Itching is a hallmark of contact allergy to topical medication, but this is still a possibility even without the itching. If you have been applying a topical antibiotic, the chances of infection are small. Cool compresses help with discomfort. Deep pain is unusual - soreness to touch not so unusual with as much bruising as seen in your photo. See your surgeon to make specific recommendations. Best wishes for rapid improvement.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Based on your photograph, I am also concerned that you may be having an allergic reaction to a topical product or the suture material. I recommend evaluation by your surgeon as soon as possible.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon