I want liposuction to my belly without abdominoplasty. Will my skin sag afterwards? (Photo)

Am I at risk for saggy skin or excess skin. I'm 24years of age. Never had any kids. I just have a lot of fat in my stomach.

Liposuction, skin sag, abdominoplasty

Hi there,     

I think you'll do well from a skin point of view with lipo alone. Your skin looks elastic, and will retract nicely.

The question is then one of predicting how much fat can be removed. Fat deposits located above the abdominal muscle wall and under the skin can be removed by lipo. Fat deep to the muscle wall, around the organs, cannot be accessed by lipo. 

The rule is:  if you can grab it, you can lipo it. What this means, expressed flippantly, is that a careful examination by the surgeon will be able to tell how much of the tissue can be removed by lipo and how much can't. 

All the very best, 

Howard Webster

Plastic Surgeon.

Liposuction expectations

Thanks for your post. I would be concerned that you would have too much skin excess with liposuction alone (of any type), especially in your lower abdomen and pubic area. You would be better off going with a true tummy tuck and liposuction at the same time. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

I want liposuction to my belly without abdominoplasty. Will my skin sag afterwards?

Greetings

Thank you for your question it will depend on the surgeon that will perform your surgery it is very important to chose skill and experienced plastic surgeon. Liposuction only can be performed by a good experienced surgeon.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question!

Based  on  the pictures you've sent us you are a great candidate for a lipo abdominoplasty. I understand that some patients are concerned about the scarring, however in your case there may be some as muscle repair is needed.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Do you need liposuction

Far more important than deciding if liposuction or a BBL is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Thank you for your question. Provided that you are otherwise healthy, your photos indicate that you will most definitely be able to see an improvement in your waist line through liposuction. With that being said, your photos also suggest that you do have a fair amount of extra skin, which can be best treated with abdominoplasty. Thus, you are going to have a much better result if you combine liposuction with a tummy tuck. However, I completely understand if you are concerned with the scar associated with a tummy tuck. If the is the case, liposuction will be a good options for you, but know that there will still be a lot of loose skin that only a tummy tuck can address. Best of luck to you!

Sagging

Most likely you will have skin excess and sagging after a thorough liposuction procedure. Consider seeing a nutritionist for a healthy diet regimen that will promote weight loss. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Liposuction without abdominoplasty - ok to do?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Your information is very helpful -
  • You do not need a tummy tuck - liposuction would be the right procedure.
  • But you need an examination to know how much fat is internal -
  • The liposuction can only remove external fat that lies under the skin -
  • Be sure to have your surgeon show you at the consultation how much external fat you have so your expectations can be reasonable....it may be a lot or a little - so good to know in advance.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction or Tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures. Liposuction will permanently remove fat and improve your shape. Liposuction is useful to shape the fat between the skin and the tummy muscles. Without a tummy tuck you may have loose skin. From your pictures, I think liposuction should give you an improvement. If you decide on liposuction, you can always do a tummy tuck later on.

Liposuction and Tummy tucks

Thank you for your question.  Most liposuction recommendations are best made with an in person exam where your doctor can feel your skin and the thickness of the fat.  You likely have excess fat inside of the abdomen that is not safely accessible with liposuction.