Whats the difference between a Biltmore Lift and a regular face lift?

Biltmore Lift Is Just Branding

Thanks for your question. I'm not very familiar with the "Biltmore Lift," but based on what I could find online, it seems to be just a branded version of a mini facelift that bears the name of the clinic from which it originated. This is a popular marketing tactic among surgeons… that often results in confused patients. In general, a mini facelift is a less invasive version of the traditional facelift, resulting in smaller scars. There's a tradeoff, though: It also creates less significant results that often don't last as long as a traditional facelift. If my suspicions are correct, a so-called Biltmore Lift may give you immediate results — but don't expect them to last more than a couple of years at most.

Congratulations to one more surgeon who put (his/her) name on a procedure that has little to do with anything at all.  Another joke on the unsuspecting public!

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Biltmore Lift

That's a great question.  It's very likely that a particular surgeon came up with a name for a variation of a facelift that others are doing for marketing purposes.  I would ask that surgeon what their variation is, and how it is different from what others are already doing.

The name of the facelift isn't important.  What is important is the experience of the physician doing the procedure.  With any surgery, but with facelifting especially, it is very important for you to do your research and pick the right surgeon for you.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #facelifttypes

Dear BurlingtonBabe

Thank you for your question!  The name of the procedure is not really the issue - It is what goals you want achieved , the risks , the healing time and the longevity of the procedure.

Make sure that your surgeon is clear about what you are looking for.

With warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Biltmore lift vs traditional

This question would be best answered from the doctor who recommended a Biltmore.  Many doctors attach a name and vary the traditional with their changes.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Procedure

None of us has heard of that specifically named procedure but a good general rule is to be properly evaluated and get the opinions of experienced and respected plastic surgeons.  Generally the smaller procedures are good for patients with few signs of aging and willling to accept a short term benefit.  If you have more of the signs of aging of your face and neck then you should consider a more complete rejuvenative procedure.
Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

You would have to ask the specific plastic surgeon who uses the name Biltmore lift.  Only he could tell you what surgical techniques are involved.

Stanley P. Gulin, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Clinics and surgeons will sometimes modify a traditional facelift procedure and then add their name to the procedure.  I've never heard of this procedure so that is my best guess.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, from what I could find, it appears to refer to a clinic who's name this represents. There are many terms and different names for all manner of facelifts these days, so I can appreciate how this confuses potential facelift patients. I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If a weak chin exists, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Biltmore Lift

The Biltmore lift is described as a minimally
invasive facial lift done under local anesthesia.
The amount of facial skin undermining may be
limited in comparison to a regular face lift which
often requires anesthesia. In my opinion every
facial lifting modifications results should be
 evaluated in comparison to the standard
face lift technic,so the patient may have the
opportunity to choose  what would she prefer.
I have been very pleased with the Quick Lyft
operation which allow the procedure to be under
local anesthesia and yield comparable results 
to my regular face lifts often with a faster recovery.
Ultimately the expertise of your board certified
plastic surgeon will be  a big part of your final result.
Remember not all faces are the same so the specific
recommendations by the plastic surgeon may vary.

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon