Can you explain why my neck started to sag 2 months after my mini facelift? (Photo)

I am enclosing 3 pics of my neck, the 65 year old neck the day of surgery, the neck 1 month afterwards, and the neck 2 months afterwards. I chose the surgeon after doing research, meeting with him twice, and seeing the results of his work in person. Was my neck too saggy for a mini facelift? Would a traditional lift have been more successful? Should I have had a neck lift instead? Thanks for your input.

Neck lift required to fully address neck aging

I do believe someone in their 60's generally require a full lower face and neck lift to reach optimal results. That said it is more survey, recovery and cost than a mini. These options are discussed in consultation.  You can have additional surgery to address more tightening of the neck. I do believe it would require a platysmplasty as part of the procedure. Discuss with your surgeon. 

Neck lift

Thank you for your post. While you have had a nice improvement with your procedure in terms of your jowls and cheeks (and even in the neck too), you may need to have your incision extended back along your hairline behind your ear so that additional neck tightening could occur. My bet is that your surgeon would be happy to guide you through your options, and hopefully keeping your costs down. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

May need more

It appears there was too much neck tissue to be helped with a mini-lift.
Further work on skin tightening such as Precsion TX, or a posterior neck lift will be necessary.

Eacg surgeon has a different definition of what a "mini" facelift is

For some surgeons, its a shorter incison but full treatment of the facial and neck muscles. For some it's lifting the skin a short distance and pulling the muscle called the SMAS back and up with sutures. The latter may not last. Some patients need more aggressive surgery. SOmetimes your surgeon may have done all the right procedures and the neck muscles pull through the sutures. You should discuss your issues with your surgeon to plan how to correct your neck.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

More Than A Mini

Thank you for your question and photos. Its easy to play Monday morning quarterback but the answer lies in what your goals were and what you discussed with your surgeon. Typically a Mini Facelift addresses the cheek and jowl area with a very modest effect in the neck. Although you have relaxed you neck still appears better than before surgery and your jowls are much improved. If you main objective was to improve your neck than a more extensive procedure like a lower facelift or traditional facelift may have been a better option. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Im sure they can guide you in the right direction
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Mini-Facelift Issues

Hard to comment on result without knowing which technique your surgeon used. In general, however, each technique should be modified to address each individual's needs. Your pre-op photos demonstrate fairly significant redundant skin and banding of your neck muscles. Some Mini-facelift procedures do not "open" the neck, but can still address the muscle banding issue seen in your post op photo. Talk to your surgeon about a possible revision in several months after all swelling and scarring has settled down. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD